We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport expiration date for entering the US (for a kid)

Pordenone, Italy
Level Contributor
996 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Passport expiration date for entering the US (for a kid)

Hello everyone!

My son's passport will expire next January. Being a toddler passport (from Italy), it has a very short duration that cannot be extended.

In case we decided to make a trip to the US in November, would the passport be still good? He already has a valid Esta.

Otherwise I would have to ask for a new passport next summer.

Thanks

1. Re: Passport expiration date for entering the US (for a kid)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2012, 18:45
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,942 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport expiration date for entering the US (for a kid)

dhs.gov/files/…content_multi_image_0021.shtm

This website provides substantial information about entering the USA and I do not see a problem, based on the information in this website, for your son to travel with that passport. I can not find anywhere that mentions the passport must be valid for a certain length of time after entry. Remember this is your trip, not mine, so I suffer no consequences if I am wrong, but you appear to be fine.

Dordrecht, The...
Level Contributor
477 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport expiration date for entering the US (for a kid)

worldtravelguide.net/united-states-america/p…

According to this site your passport needs to be valid for anything between 90 days and 6 months after entry depending on your specific situation. You're cutting it extremely close...

Pordenone, Italy
Level Contributor
996 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport expiration date for entering the US (for a kid)

Thanks a lot guys.

I have searched and found this:

cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/travel/inspections_…

which says that

"Visitors traveling to the United States are required to be in possession of passports that are valid for six months beyond the period of their intended stay in the United States. Citizens of the countries listed below are exempt the six-month rule and need only have a passport valid for their intended period of stay."

Italy is among the countries listed, so my boy's passport should be more than fine....

5. Re: Passport expiration date for entering the US (for a kid)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 14:43