We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dad's 70th

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
8 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Dad's 70th

Our family is looking for ideas for a trip (US) to celebrate my dad's 70th next year - end of July/early August. Around 11 adults and 12 kids - mostly teens. So far they are thinking family cruise or Vegas but I think there must be some other places out there with things to do where everyone can have a good time. Anyone have any ideas? What about all inclusive type places?

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,099 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dad's 70th

While we have been to Las Vegas with our teens & young adults, it would be very low on my list. Know that particularly for that age group, it can be particularly frustrating because so much is for the over 21 age group. Plus it will be very warm in July/August.

How far do you want to travel? will you fly or drive? Budget? WCruises are always a good option. I also like ski areas/resorts in the summer because there is plenty of accommodations, lots to do. What does your family like to do - i.e.; would a ranch/horseback be an option? A beach vacation?

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
8 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dad's 70th

Some like the beach and others like the mountains. I was thinking someplace like the Grand Tetons or Vermont or somewhere where there is stuff to do and see but they are worried about cooking for everyone. A cruise may be the best option that will make everyone happy since all families are different. I take my family on a trip every year and we have visited many places while the other families just plan nearby trips to the beach or not much at all. We don't have an unlimited budget but I thought there just has to be something out there. A ranch is appealing to me. I was just hoping to get some ideas to throw their way... :)

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dad's 70th

The off season ski areas are a great idea. We have had many family reunions at such spots, usually near one family member.

What is the budget of the lowest family member? One of my friends recently took her family on a cruise to Alaska. At $900 apiece for nine of them it seemed pretty expensive. Were my family to suggest this, it woudn't go over well.

You don't cook at dude ranches, where others of my friends have had their favorite family reunions. Again, those places are spendy.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
8 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dad's 70th

I have been looking around online and I have found nice places to rent in Park City, North Carolina, Gatlinberg, New Hampshire/Vermont, and Branson. I am not familiar with Branson at all but it looks like it is a big travel spot. A cruise to Alaska is on my bucket list but I don't think it is something I can afford next year (we are 6 in my family). I still have more searching to do for rental possibilities. I also think that cooking doesn't have to be a huge issue if we keep it simple with burgers and such.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dad's 70th

Branson and Gatlinburg are love it or hate it from what I've read. I've never been there. You might want to ask in your circle of aquaintances if anyone has been there.

Sun River and Big Sky were great. We rented an entire B&B one time, which also worked well.

Many places that are summer vacation hangouts get booked up each summer for the following summer, so as not to lose the place. It really is time to start looking, especially on the east coast where there are a lot of people in a small area.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dad's 70th

7 million visitors to Branson each year. Crowdy place but we like the off season there. Won't be cheap in summer. Great area though and lots of places to see. How about Wisconsin Dells? Not for everybody either though. SW Wisconsin is very nice. Circus World makes a good daytrip for all. Waterparks galore.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,330 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dad's 70th

personally, I'd head to the Tetons and YNP that time of year. However-- cooking might be an issue. We made good use of our cooler :) Definitely keeps the food cost down and can't beat the scenery for picnics. Some inexpensive lodging in both parks, but nothing with kitchens. You CAN cook at the picnic areas if you have a couple of Coleman stoves.

As for Gatlinburg-- there's tons for kids to do in Pigeon Forge area. Too crowded and touristy for my taste, but we enjoyed the area by avoiding Gatlingburg and Pigeon Forge in general and exploring the Smokies. Definitely can find a cabin to stay in and meals can be cooked in. For my parents 50th anniversary, we took a weekend and rented a cabin here in Ohio in the Hocking Hills (sort of a small version of the Smokies area) Parents loved it as did all the family members.

For beach-- the Outer Banks has innumerable house rentals for you to share-- Kitty Hawk, lighthouses, wind sailing... I think that area might suit the family as well?

8. Re: Dad's 70th

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2013, 05:15