We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mother with Teenagers - Ideas for Europe Trip in December

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Mother with Teenagers - Ideas for Europe Trip in December

Hi, For all of December my son (15) and daughter (17) will be travelling in Europe. I am keen to try and do more than just look at historical building and museums as I know my kids will get bored if we see too many in a row. I have booked flights and tentative intinery is Prague-Germany somewhere-Venice-Rome-Interlaken- Paris- London. In Interlaken we going to try some skiing (so we can "do" something, not just "look" - my son will like that) and in Paris and London my daughter will love to shop. Are there any other things people can suggest that we can "do" or things which teenagers might like to do/see which aren't the usually mentioned touristy ones? (in Japan we went to a Ninja museum/display place which my kids loved) . Thanks so much for any suggestions!

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mother with Teenagers - Ideas for Europe Trip in December

You might want to post on the various country forums.

I didn't take my kids to Berlin, but I think they'd like it. It is very diverse and lively. Some great open air markets and shops in addition to all the historical information. Germany has Christmas Markets everywhere in December, and there's usually sledding or ice skating and things nearby.

Edited: 31 August 2012, 23:28
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mother with Teenagers - Ideas for Europe Trip in December

Thanks Ainwa for the advice.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
109 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mother with Teenagers - Ideas for Europe Trip in December

It sounds kind of weird but my sisters (14 and 16) had fun going to the catacombs in Paris. I'm not sure if your family would be into the same things haha. We also went on a dinner boat cruise in Paris which was nice; we got to see a lot of landmarks while eating a 3 course dinner. My 14 year old sister is also really into fashion and vintage clothing so we went to several flea markets in Paris. One of them was the market at Porte de Clignancourt. You can access it via the subway. Maybe that might interest your daughter.

In Germany (we went to Cologne) we had the opportunity to go to a beer brewery but again, I'm not sure if you want to encourage that for your children, haha.

Hope this helps!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mother with Teenagers - Ideas for Europe Trip in December

Will you take public transport to those places?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mother with Teenagers - Ideas for Europe Trip in December

Vanessa Y, Thanks for the suggestions. The dinner cruise and flea market sound like they will be of interest to us - I'll look into them further.

Tet14, yes we will be taking public transport to wherever we do.

Schaumburg, Illinois
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Mother with Teenagers - Ideas for Europe Trip in December

Question: My wife and her boyfriend and his parents want to take my two children (boy 15, girl 17) to Germany, Spain and France for 10 days. Is there any concern (other than me not knowing him (that well) or his family) to allow my x to take our two on a Europe vacation? I have traveled to many places in my day but never Europe so I don't know how safe or not it is or can be? Any suggestions? I hear about kids being taken and stuff but don't want them to miss out just because I am foolishly thinking or being over portective. By the way, the kids live with me 100% of the time and she gets them a day every two weeks.....that was their choice.

7. Re: Mother with Teenagers - Ideas for Europe Trip in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 00:17