We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A complicated trip dont really know where to start!!

Newcastle
2 posts
Save Topic
A complicated trip dont really know where to start!!

We are trying to plan the most amazing family holiday but not sure the best way to book. We have my husbands sister in London - the purpose of the trip is to spend time with my hubbys family.We hope to spend 2-2.5 weeks in londonbut this will be broken in half because we have extended family in Ireland and have been invited to a wedding which means we see nearly everyone in ONE DAY (GREAT) but intend to spend 6-7 days there and then when back from Ireland during the 2nd half of the London break we want to take our kids (@time of travel 9,7,5) to Paris for 2(?) days possibly eurostar. unless someone comes up with a better idea. Then we will be going to LA Disneyland WITH the London family(2adults 2 kids 10,8) 3 days @the parks then Vegas 2-3days (driving from anaheim before we head back to Sydney. Now the complicated parts that I would really appreciate some advice on are as follows:

How do we co-ordinate bookings with our London family for the USA leg ?

Should one of us book the accomodation for the other or should we book independently and ask them to note our other family will be booking?

We plan on staying at one of the resort hotels to maximise time and allow rest time during the day for our youngest- is this the right idea or is one of the good neighbour hotels nearby just as good an option?

Will it be best to include our Ireland flights in our main fare or get my london family to do it for us?

Should we book eurostar here or wait till we get there?

Should we do an asia stopover to break up the outgoing flight and make it an around the world fare or should we fly via usa and make it a return??

I havent looked at all is it possible to get a 9 seater to drive from anaheim to vegas? should we do it should london family do it how is the cheapest way to organise that ?

Should we find an awesome travel agent to do everything or should we segment this trip and break it up?? DIY etc????

Our London family dont wish to take their kids out of school and want them finished school before we arrive (they are paying for a large percentage of our flights) so we shouldnt arrive London before 23rd July.

Wedding 3rd August Galway Ireland

and from my research (please correct if you know better) dont do disney until after 2nd week of August

ALso need to include an English Premier league game if at all possible I cant find any start dates for next years season yet - anyone got any inside info??for booking purposes I feel like I need to get gracking on this and just want all the dates sorted

Thanks for reaching the end of my EPIC POST ;-)

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A complicated trip dont really know where to start!!

If I was making this trip, I would have one party make the arrangements for everybody. This requires some genuine trust between the parties that the party booking will make sincere good faith efforts to make appropriate bookings at the correct price, and will then notify the other party of a good faith cost. In my experience, the cost will likely not be perfect. There may be hidden charges. In your case, there could be as many as 4 currencies involved. This requires a fair ammount of trust, but will be both the easiest and will likely get the best results. The various currencies will make this a little complicated, but if you trust each other, it is how I would do it. If one party or the other would be put off by the ammounts not being "perfect", do not do it. If both parties accept that one or the other may be out a few dollars or pounds, maintain the good family relations and each do their own.

As far as the Asia stopover, I recommend against it. Unless you have substantial time to spend at an Asian city, you will start your trip with jetlag. My experience trying this is it seems like a good idea, but it does not work so well. You take on the cost of the stopover, but with little time or energy to enjoy it. I am all about traveling in Asia, but I suggest saving that for an Asian trip. When traveling with kids, I am in favor of get on the airplane and "tough it out", stopovers just seem to prolong the problem.

The London family should know or be able to find out the Eurostar issue.

Renting a van should be doable, but I have no knowlege about who to contact. Renting 2 cars or minivans may be comparable in cost and would allow some flexibility.

A travel agent is not a bad idea, if you can find a good one. What you are talking about is doable without one.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A complicated trip dont really know where to start!!

You can rent a 12pax full size van code FVAR but I suggest to rent 2 smaller cars. You won't find many maxi vans at rentallocations. Already make the reservation from Australia or UK. All insurances are covered then. No drop off charges between Ca and Nv. www.traveljigsaw.com Anaheim to LV app is a 5 hours drive.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
363 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A complicated trip dont really know where to start!!

Re: Asia stopover.

I would like to respectfully disagree with jhndrac. My understanding is that you are from Australia, as am I. Speaking from personal experience, we flew Korean Air from Melbourne to Europe with 18 hour stopover at Incheon (Seoul). It was great. No jetlag there, because you are just 1 hour behind Australian time zone. With such a long layover airline puts you up into a hotel, which, in case of Korean is Hyatt... And you sleep in a bed, not crooked up in a plane seat. It was great.

Since you are from Newcastle, I assume you will fly out from Sydney. I don't know what are plane schedules are like and if you will fly with Korean or choose someone else, but do not discount the idea of Asian stopover. Believe me, no jetlag involved. But do it on the way there, because on the way back it's a different story. At least in my experience.

Happy travels!

Edited: 01 September 2012, 16:17
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
363 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A complicated trip dont really know where to start!!

P.S. Check with the airline re: hotel availability. In our case the hotel was included because there were no other flights to our destination within those 18 hours. If you deliberately book flights with a stopover, then you will have to pay for accommodation. However, you should be able to find a reasonably priced decent place even if you have to book 2 rooms for your crew. Anyway, it's going to be cheaper than a separate ticket to Asia...

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
29,075 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A complicated trip dont really know where to start!!

You can also post in the Anaheim Forum where Disneyland is located, well be happy to help you plan that part of your trip.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g29092-i65-Anaheim…

You can also post in the other various City Forums you may be visiting in, if you want help with accomodations, its helpful to include a budget per night for a Hotel as well as your dates of travel as well as specific questions about the areas you are posting in ( you can include a link to this thread in your posts)

Edited: 01 September 2012, 17:05
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,168 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A complicated trip dont really know where to start!!

I would agree with posting on the city forums you'll be visiting - London for the Eurostar & EPL questions eg. tripadvisor.com.au/ShowForum-g186338-i17-Lon…

4 years ago we travelled to Paris via Eurostar & the advice at the time was to book ahead. Our Sydney travel agent (last time I used a travel agent!) managed to stuff up our ticket bookings & we ended up having to go to St Pancras station the day before & purchase new tickets which was atime consuming pain! The current advice may well be to book direct yourself with Eurostar, but I'm sure they'll help you with this on the London forum.

Re Asia stop over - if you can spare the time, do it!

Edited: 01 September 2012, 22:17
7. Re: A complicated trip dont really know where to start!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2013, 10:17