We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dissatisfied with Emirates,.first time flying with 1yr old

Nth Qld
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Topic
Dissatisfied with Emirates,.first time flying with 1yr old

I recently travelled from Brisbane to Dubai and was looking forward to the journey as I had heard how good the airline was when flying with young children.

Sadly I was not treated well at all. The hostesses found my request to warm bottles as a big inconvenience, getting drinks of water took forever and regularly forgotten, the baby meal I ordered was nowhere to be seen and when I asked for it all I received in return was attitude and told that it was just a pot of banana, I said ok but I never got it. So if u are traveling make sure you take your own snacks and food, thankfully I did. To add salt to the wound they damaged my own stroller making it fit for the bin.

One positive note to finish on, the change tables in the toilets are a good size and the are complimentary strollers to use at dubai airport

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
112 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dissatisfied with Emirates,.first time flying with 1yr old

Hi,

Oh you had a rough trip.

I always advise to take your own snacks for kids no matter the age. You never know what they will serve and if the kids (babies through to school age) will eat what is served.

Second never ask for help with heating bottles etc. until the food service has been completed. The crew are too busy. If you are still not getting satisfaction walk up to the galley with bottle and find a jug of hot water yourself. Ok you shouldn't have to but sometimes you just get a bad crew no matter the airline.

Sadly damage to strollers happens and the airline will not take responsibility as it is deemed a fragile item. To prevent damage I fold down all protruding parts (handle bar, cross bar) anything that will fold down or click off including the wheels. Then I pack it into a bag. Some airlines provide a large plastic bag but most don't so buy one from a baby suppliers they are not cheap but if you buy it on your first trip you'll get your moneys worth over the next few years.

Good luck with your next holiday.

Edited: 07 September 2012, 08:46
western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dissatisfied with Emirates,.first time flying with 1yr old

Good advice, T-o-T.

It is a good idea to bring all your own snacks or food unless you are traveling business class or better. The stakes are too high! I swear I could have set up shop on occasion, with some familes not having brought any food. Kids like familiar foods anyway.

We flew on EVA Air last year without kids, but the service level was so high I imagine they would have done all that. They even still had the little airline dishes to serve food in like they used to have in the US decades ago, plus slippers and eye covers at our seats.

Emirates is really building up their coverage. They have a direct flight from Seattle now, too. I know from going on the Boeing tour that they have purchased a lot of the new 787 aircraft, which will be a big step ahead in passenger comfort.

NZ
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dissatisfied with Emirates,.first time flying with 1yr old

Emirates have unfortunately got too big too fast and quality of service has deteriorated somewhat. I've been using them for about 10 years and as the network and staff numbers have increased, many of the lovely things that made them so great have disappeared and sometimes that includes very grumpy staff. Dubai airport is now a nightmare of moving bodies - again it used to be a pleasant stopover. Unless I am forced (as in this next trip) because of timing constraints I go Korean.

4. Re: Dissatisfied with Emirates,.first time flying with 1yr old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2013, 10:15
Get answers to your questions