We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single dad travelling with 7 year old daughter

Davenport, Iowa
10 posts
Save Topic
Single dad travelling with 7 year old daughter

I am trying to decide on a fun trip for the summer of '13 to take with my daughter just the 2 of us. We have traveled a lot together and have been to Disney and all the parks in Florida. We've done Hawaii and the carribean a lot and are doing costa rica this December. I'm looking for a new and exciting place to try where culture will be a big difference and there will be a bit of a language barrier. I was originally thinking London, Paris, and Rome or south east Asia. After looking into them I'm not sure if she's old enough for these places. I don't want her to be terribly bored and get turned off of traveling. Any ideas would be great, and suggestions of things to do there would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
76 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Single dad travelling with 7 year old daughter

Not sure what your budget is like, but my son at that age absolutely loved Singapore , very easy to get around by public transport and lot's to see and do - he loved eating at the food stalls in the various districts and going to the zoo, i felt Singapore had a good mix between the familiar (theme parks etc) and the unfamiliar, and you can easily combine beach/theme parks with more cultural excursions and attacks on the senses ,and from my point of view it seemed a lot easier to navigate than Bangkok or Hong Kong, a plus I think especially when going solo

New York City, New...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Single dad travelling with 7 year old daughter

Dominican republic is a great place for your daughter. My daughter and I stayed in punta cana. Some of the resorts we stayed a were Club med, Dreams resorts,

Paradisus. The club med was amazing for her as well as dreams both have amazing kids programs.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,394 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Single dad travelling with 7 year old daughter

It is probably best to have a think about what your daughter enjoys (and what you think she would probably enjoy) and then narrow down destinations. By the age of 7 I imagine that she is pretty vocal about what she hates!

Also, and perhaps more importantly, have a think about what you enjoy. If you are a bit grumpy it is going to ruin the holiday for both of you.

If you plan to head significantly further east or west of your home city do consider that time zone changes can make for a weird couple of days adjusting along with strange food requirements.

Millions of people manage to bring their children up in European capital cities without too much trauma (and plenty of younger families visit).

Perhaps just decide on a few countries that are easy to get to and then ask about things to do on the relevant forums.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Single dad travelling with 7 year old daughter

Have you looked into Iceland?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,712 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Single dad travelling with 7 year old daughter

I went to London and Paris when I was 7 and I don't recall thinking they were boring.

What about something like the Greek Islands? Lots of culture and history, but also just beaches, boating, ferries from island to island, roaming ancient ruins (I spent lots of time going around old Roman ruins around England and thought it was great). Its only boring if you make it boring! Make sure to do your homework, so that when she has questions, you don't just have answers, you have STORIES to tell about this feature or that battle or the other hero.

I also really like the suggestion of Iceland.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,712 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Single dad travelling with 7 year old daughter

gonomad.com/features/…waigand_iceland.html

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
109 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Single dad travelling with 7 year old daughter

Hi,

Have you asked her what she would like to or see?

She maybe ONLY 7 but she knows what she likes to do and she will have learnt about place from school, the Internet and TV.

Happy travels.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
26,804 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Single dad travelling with 7 year old daughter

Jake, I think you should consider a visit to Toronto.....admittedly, the culture and language are not that different, however Toronto is a great spot to visit for both children and adults, and summer is a great time to do so...............tons of stuff to do too, and it is not all that far for you to travel.....no jet lag no wasting precious vacation time getting back and forth..............something to think about :) p.s. we have beaches here too!

Stockton-on-Tees...
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Single dad travelling with 7 year old daughter

Hi Jake

I had a great holiday, this year, with my kids (5, 9 and 13) in Venice. We stayed at campsite (in.a mobile home) in Cavallino for most of the holiday. It was on a beautiful beach and had great facilities for kids: water parks, restaurants etc. It was then a short trip into Venice. You could also take excursions to Verona and Lake Garda. The campsites in this area are just a short trip from Marco Polo airport so car hire isn't essential.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
355 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Single dad travelling with 7 year old daughter

How about the Disneyland near Paris?