We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do when the hotel says there are no cribs available?

southern california
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What to do when the hotel says there are no cribs available?

I know not everyone's kids sleep in cribs, but need other requirements to be able to get to sleep. My son just happens to be comfortable in cribs (pack n plays and whatever most hotels have).

I was just wondering what was appropriate to request when a hotel says there are no cribs. I know they say something about cribs not being guaranteed, but still feel that should make some sort of effort to get a crib.

It's happened twice. The first time, I was not happy--we had requested a crib at arrival (around 4 PM). We followed up with a call around 6 PM before dinner. And then had to call around 8 PM for a crib. Shortly thereafter, I was informed that they didn't have cribs available. I wasn't happy because there were several chances to let us know that there were no cribs available and we weren't told until it was too late to do anything about it (it was a holiday and stores would have been closed). Ultimately, they called another affiliated property and got us a crib.

The second time, we arrived late and there was confusion by the hotel (we contacted them every 15 minutes and got different responses between 10 and 11:30). It wasn't until 11:30 that they could tell us that they might not have any cribs available. I requested they contact other affiliated properties (there are 10 in the general area). The person may or may not have called other properties (he repeated the same two or three properties every time I inquired). He also never mentioned contacting affiliated properties.

We got a mattress an hour later and my son fell asleep from exhaustion, but woke up early the next morning.

We got a crib the next day, but someone also mentioned not having enough cribs and that some were on order.

This time, it was not peak--the week after Labor Day weekend. The parking lot was empty (half of it was blocked off that day and there were still plenty of parking). Even if they didn't have cribs available, it should have relatively easy to borrow a crib from an affiliated property. Is that a reasonable request?

In retrospect, I realize I probably should do something differently, but the problem coulld still arise. In the future, I'm planning on calling ahead about cribs/see if I can check in over the phone (can i check in over the phone?).

Thanks for any responses

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
112 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do when the hotel says there are no cribs available?

Hi,

Whilst I agree that hotels should do there upmost to supply you with a crib or at least notify you in advance if they cannot meet your needs. Many won't.

Next time you travel follow up your reservation a week before travel with a reminder email of your request for a crib. Most hotels will email back.

Your other options are to take your own porta cot, because this is all they will supply you with. Or you can hire one from a baby hire service in the city you are visiting. These companies will even provide baby food, nappies, car seats etc.

Happy travels

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,493 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do when the hotel says there are no cribs available?

I think this is outrageous! As long as you include everyone in your party in the reservation information then there should be appropriate bedding. Remind the General Manager (if you have to elevate it to that level) that he is in the hospitality industry and a basic rule would be to provide a bed to each paying guest!!! I would also try to arrive at a time/day when stores are open in case the property needs to supplement their supply.

I don't travel with a baby but have run into little situations here and there where the hotel personnel don't want to inconvenience themselves. That's when I put on a smile and tell them something like their answer would be fine if they weren't in the hospitality business. This has worked 100% of the time.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,493 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do when the hotel says there are no cribs available?

I just read the end of post #1 about renting baby items. You can certainly do that but the ones I know about (on Cape Cod) charge extra if you rent less than a week out. Plus, a last minute order can't be certain of supply. However, if the hotel wants to try to make that arrangement it could be a solution they might not have thought about.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,884 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do when the hotel says there are no cribs available?

I'm a little confused. Did you request a crib at the time you made your reservation or did you wait until you had arrived at the hotel before requesting one?

southern california
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do when the hotel says there are no cribs available?

It seems that in most cases, the hotels leave it as a first come, first served. Then they tell you they don’t have any in hopes that you will just go away, then, after you complain, maybe do something.

It’s hard to plan ahead to bring your own or rent something or even buy something when you don’t know that you would need it until it’s too late to do any of the above.

I thought it was outrageous as well, but just wanted to run it by someone that wasn’t as emotionally invested in this issue. It’s not like a minor inconvenience like having to sleep in a queen bed for a night before getting a room with a king bed or a different view than you were promised for a night. Not having a crib seems like a potential liability issue for the hotel.

For some reason, the company’s website that I use only requests number of adults per room and doesn’t allow for children. You can leave it in the comments, but I know that isn’t always read. Unfortunately, we can’t always arrive during business hours…

I contacted the hotel during the day of our arrival. I also called them at night before we arrived. When we arrived, there was general confusion from everyone. It was supposedly in our room. Then when we got to our room, there was no crib. They then called for one… Then the crib was on its way. Then, they weren’t sure if there were any cribs. Then, finally, we were informed that there were no cribs.

When we arrived, there was a manager, but by the time it was “discovered” that there were no cribs, the manger was already off. I don’t believe there was even a night/graveyard shift manager as the top person we spoke to was the “night auditor.”

In retrospect, I should have believed the reviews on Trip Advisor. The comments on Trip Advisor and every detail of the hotel I saw screamed out that they were cost cutting at the expense of their guests’ comfort. But really, every awful thing about the hotel would have been bearable—EXCEPT for the not providing us with a crib. They are apparently cost cutting to the extreme if they could not provide us with a crib. There was a major holiday the week before and kids have all just headed back to school. This should have been a very light travel weekend. The parking lot was indeed half empty. I find it hard to believe that they wouldn’t have enough cribs this weekend. The crib we did get showed significant signs of wear and really should have been replaced several years ago.

I have a new plan of action for future stays. I will contact them a week ahead. If we cannot check in around actual check in time, I will call at that time to see if we can check in over the phone and also secure a crib.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,884 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do when the hotel says there are no cribs available?

I can't imagine why you didn't check this when you first booked the room.

If I needed a crib this would have been one of the first things I asked on booking.

If there was any doubt I'd have booked elsewhere.

I don't see why a hotel should supply stuff like this if they don't want to. Plenty hotels don't accept young children so they won't have cribs

southern california
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do when the hotel says there are no cribs available?

Most hotels will have cribs (at least USA). If they do have cribs and If you contact them well in advance, they will tell you they have cribs available.

It's not like a bed in a room where you can guarantee every room will have a bed. They only keep a certain number of cribs. Theoretically, every room could need one or more cribs. They would not have enough cribs. Even if they "held" a crib for you, I would guess that if it is not in a room and someone asked for it, they would give it to the other person.

It is a very kid friendly area. Affordable hotel rooms and close to kid friendly attractions. We traveled on a weekend that would not likely have a lot of kids, so there would be no reason to think they wouldn’t have enough cribs.

I have no problem if a hotel doesn’t want to supply cribs and states that up front. I will book a room elsewhere. If they do tell me that they have cribs available, they do need to carry a reasonable number of cribs (to even handle an off peak time) and make a reasonable effort to obtain an extra crib (there are 10 affiliated hotels in the vicinity).

8. Re: What to do when the hotel says there are no cribs available?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 03:17