We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

USA East Coast May July 2013

Wexford
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
USA East Coast May July 2013

Hi all am looking at above for next year thinking of taking in a combination of these cities New York, Boston, Washington Philadelphia, & Chicago.

2 adults 2 kids are 16 & 14 looking at going for 14 days.

I think it would be too much to try & visit all those cities. Really looking at the experience and seeing the sights enjoying the experience.

So what 3 would you pick? How long would you stay in each? Should I hire a car to get between cities, fly or use train.

Should I book through an agent or do on line? Can anyone recommend web sites we live in ireland.

I Would consider alternatives any help much appreciated.

Casablanca
Level Contributor
884 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: USA East Coast May July 2013

Hi Paul and welcome to TA Family Travel forum.

Actually all the places you suggested above are on the same line except chigaco which worth it to spend some moment in so, i would pick New York first, due to it's amazing life, as it will make you amazed by the busy life and the brilliant nightlife, enjoying all it has to offer also go to New York forum page then clock on things to do select activities to do for 5 Days as you can have a day trip exploring the area enjoying the New York City.

Boston, the capital of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and its largest city, and is one of the oldest cities in the United States.

Read more about it on the LP as i suggest 4 Day in it : lonelyplanet.com/usa/…75953

Chicago; the Most populus city is the USA, more Travel Tips at the follow link as i consider your rest of the 5 Days would be spent here : explorechicago.org/city/…travel__tips.html

So please Try to post any of your interests/concerns in the specific forum, Use the Links which are in your specific Location forum, at the Top Asked Questions there is helpful links about your family travel interests, and Matters, for Things to do check the left side Tab, where you can find Attractions, Tours, Nightlife and Shopping, for any other questions use the forum posting your queries and sure will be one of the locals, or Regular contributers jump into your questions to enlighten your trip with helpful replies.

for Your trip i'd high recommend also to take a Guidebook with you for teh City explorations, to know about local customs, culture and life style, most recommended one for the City Lonelyplanet, Frommer's and Fodor's.

Happy Travels.

H

Edited: 31 October 2012, 15:43
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
28,491 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: USA East Coast May July 2013

Hi paulb.........I've been to all of the cities in question and they're all great choices but.......if you can only pick 3 , then I'd pick NYC, Boston and Washington, DC................

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,491 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: USA East Coast May July 2013

Once you have your choices narrowed down, I think you should go to the forum for each city and post pertinent questions there for solid, local advice.................if you are thinking you may rent a car and drive btwn dest, check out the Road Trip forum as well....................have fun!

Wexford
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: USA East Coast May July 2013

Hi Eden thanks for reply I can pick more than 3 but thought more than that might be too much to try & get round in 12 - 14 days

Casablanca
Level Contributor
884 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: USA East Coast May July 2013

All of the places are really worth it, but i've illustrated 3 of my suggestion, as i consider them best to experience for your trip May-July.

You can use some specific Forums for some of this, asking of your family travel interests, as i would suggest to post in all of their forum, then read locals and DEs replies and compare which would your family pick for it, then manage it slow, as it will take a while of time but will be the highlights of your trip.

Happy Travels.

H

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
13,258 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: USA East Coast May July 2013

Hello Paul

If you are flying from Dublin to the USA, it may help to frame your trip by looking at which is the best value east coast US city you fly into. If you are using Aer Lingus, it may be worth comparing flight prices into Boston and New York, and then deciding which city to travel on to. If you fly into Boston first and then travel south to New York, and then on to Washington DC, you won't be back tracking. You may want to price out an "open jaw" ticket, which allows you to fly into one city, but fly out from another.

Boston is more low key than New York, and is a very walkable city. There is a good local train system for taking trips to Cambridge, which is gorgeous. Lots to do, and in 3-4 days you could cover most of the city.

New York... you can get a train down from Boston, and you could very easily spend a week or more. As your kids are that much older, they may have idea's on what they would like to do and see... so why not ask them to help with the planing!

A really good guide book will help you get the most out of your trip. You may want to consider staying in south Brooklyn rather than Manhatten. The New York travel forum is an excellent source of information, but when I stayed with my family, we booked a 2 bedroomed apartment near Times Square, as this proved better value than a hotel.

Washington DC.. again can be reached by train, but is very much smaller than both Boston and New York, and perhaps 3 days would be enough to cover all the main sights.

Never been to Chicago or Philly, so can't provide any insight.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,491 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: USA East Coast May July 2013

You're welcome paulb........I agree, I think 3 cities would work well within your time frame....................some good advice in mcpinder's post above...

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: USA East Coast May July 2013

With a minimum of 2 days for Boston, 4 days NY and 2 days for DC plus 2 days for the commutes you maybe have time to add Niagara Falls. I'd use public transport for all destinations in only 14 days.

Wexford
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: USA East Coast May July 2013

Thanks everyone for the replies you have been brilliant will check out the other forums.

Do you think I should book through a travel agent or try and do online?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,491 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: USA East Coast May July 2013

Post #8 suggests adding Niagara Falls to your itinerary............if this interests you, you could fly, or take a bus or possibly the train to Buffalo, NY, see Niagara Falls from the U.S. side, cross the bridge to Niagara Falls, Ontario in Canada, which has many more attractions than the U.S. side, and then make your way to Toronto for a couple of days.........Toronto is Canada's largest city and is a very popular holiday destination..........late spring/early summer lovely time to visit.........