We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

holiday friends - etiquette

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
holiday friends - etiquette

Hi,

I know this is going to get a wide range of answers but I wanted to see what your views are..

We recently had our first family holiday (newly formed family and we got rid of the motorhome in favour of finding sunshine).

During the holiday we met and got on well with people in the resort. Our child also made a great holiday friend.

If we were teenies or the child was, then swapping facebook would come as naturally as saying good morning.. in fact from observing our older children, they would have probably exchanged friend requests on day 1 of the holiday..

But how do the rest of us (and especially youger children) broach the subject of staying in touch.. and is it appropriate anyway?

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,311 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: holiday friends - etiquette

Why not. We can't have too many friends, and if it doesn't work, then you will drift apart and never hear from them again.

I'd hand them a note of my email addy and say 'here's my address if you fancy staying in touch'

If you never hear from them then you know where you stand

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
26,584 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: holiday friends - etiquette

Well, I agree wholeheartedly with thegoodwitch in the above post.............. and on past travels, we've hosted parties....we used to call them "picture parties" in the days when everyone still used film........a group of people we met on the holiday would get together for a potluck at our place and we would all check out each other's photos that were taken during that particular vacation/sightseeing excursion..................it was a nice way to keep in touch.................

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: holiday friends - etiquette

Hi Mark L,

When I was young, every year my family with 5 kids would travel from Wisconsin and spend 2-3 weeks at the same campground in Florida. During that time, we became good friends with another family who had 8 kids, who would often be there at the same time. It was such a joy meeting them each year and re-connect - we loved it! Our families would exchange Christmas cards, and as these things go, over the years, kids grew up, travel changed, but the families still exchanged Christmas cards. Every year, even as an adult, I anticipated the arrival of their card.

When my children were younger we made up "business" cards for the kids, they were easy and cheap to do with a computer or even online. Now when I travel, I often carry personal cards that I made with my home information and contact information to exchange as appropriate with other travelers. I find now, however it is very quick and easy to share contact information via phone text message.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
109 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: holiday friends - etiquette

Hi,

Why can't you ask to swap emails or become friends on Facebook.

Ok you may not do this on day 1 as teens do, but by the end of the holiday if you feel you have made a new friend, Why not?

I keep in contact (first by email then Facebook as technology grew) with a friend I met whilst on my honeymoon with my ex-husband. It has now been 14 years and we just email or update each other on our news. We actually have never seen each other again. She lives in the USA and I live in Australia.

So make friends around the world.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: holiday friends - etiquette

Thanks for your replies.. I think I'm probably too British to go with some of your ideas but I do like the idea of making friends all over the world. We are looking at Madeira for May so will see who we meet there ....

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: holiday friends - etiquette

Mark L -

Your post still has me smiling...it is not necessarily out of the British comfort zone.

A couple years ago we sailed on the Queen Victoria out of Southhampton to the Canary Islands and beyond with my elderly parents. We had two wonderful British couples as table mates. We were one of the few Americans on the ship, and my husband and I were the youngest passengers by far. We'd laugh at dinner sometimes because sometimes my dad would struggle to understand the British accent or follow the conversation and we would get all mixed up ... but we enjoyed every meal and had some very interesting conversations. At the end of the cruise one of the couples asked to exchange our contact info. I still get Christmas cards and the occasional email. It is such a delight to still connect with them.

So good luck spreading your wings!

7. Re: holiday friends - etiquette

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2013, 10:16