We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Availability of car seats for baby in Phuket taxis?

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Availability of car seats for baby in Phuket taxis?

Hi!

We are travelling to Phuket Thailand in February 2013. Our hotel is 15 min from the airport and we'll need to take a taxi to the hotel. Do the taxis have any baby seats?? Do we need to pre-book to get one? Our baby will be 8 months and about 8 kilograms (18 pounds) so she will fit in a baby "capsule". At home we use rear-facing seat but I guess getting that kind of seat will be impossible.

[You must be wondering why we won't bring our own seat. The reason is that we are on a round-the-world trip and in other destinations we will use a car and rent a seat for the baby. In Phuket we are planning not to use car/taxi on other occasions but going from the airport to the hotel and vice versa, so having the seat with us round the world seems.. well, heavy and cumbersome.]

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,140 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Availability of car seats for baby in Phuket taxis?

I'd ask on the Phuket forum tripadvisor.com.au/ShowForum-g293920-i5037-P…

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Availability of car seats for baby in Phuket taxis?

Thanks Mia, I'll do that!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Availability of car seats for baby in Phuket taxis?

Do not expect to find child seats in taxis anywhere in Thailand. If you want to use the child seat, your only choice will be to book a private driver for the transfer.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Availability of car seats for baby in Phuket taxis?

Another thought about your question. Our son has finally outgrown car seats. We traveled extensively with him as an infant and as a toddler. I finally bought a large enough suitcase and compact enough seat to start bringing my own, I simply put it in a large suitcase, and while the suitcase is bulky, it is also fairly light.

My experience with rental car seats is that they were frequently either in poor condition or the wrong size was provided. Child seats, like seatbelts, are designed to be stressed one time and then thrown away. I was not confident in the seats that were provided.

I am not a worrier about child seats, in fact I think the laws where I live go too far, in my opinion. With infants though, there is no option to secure the child other than an infant seat.

It depends where you will be traveling. Europe I suspect is pretty good about providing decent seats. My experience in Thailand is a substantial reason why I started bringing my own. In the USA the rental car staff is fairly good as well.

I am simply throwing this idea out there. If you bring your own, you know it fits and is in good condition.

Edited: 01 January 2013, 21:18
Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Availability of car seats for baby in Phuket taxis?

I managed to book us a transfer in Phuket by phuketshuttle.com. They will arrange a car seat for the baby.

jnhdrac, I surely have thought about bringing our own seat. The safety of our baby is not something I take lightly. We have a very good rear-facing car seat for the baby and of course I would be much more confident putting the baby into it, as compared to the rental seats... Our other travel destinations (apart from Thailand) are Australia, New Zealand, Fiji and California. Fiji is also causing me some headache with regards of finding a car seat provider, but luckily we have only a very short trip to go by car. Let's see if we cannot find decent seats if we'll have to walk :). The three other destinations will have good rental seats, I hope.

The problem is also flying with the car seat. As our baby flies with the infant ticket and sits on my lap during the flights, we would have to check the car seat in. Then the airlines would charge us for extra baggage (because the child can have stroller or car seat for free, and we are taking the stroller..). So the costs would be quite high, unfortunately.

Also the handling of luggage can be quite rough at the airports, so it cannot be certain that the car seat wouldn't have suffered any throwing etc.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Availability of car seats for baby in Phuket taxis?

My system worked because I had a bag big enough to get the seat in and still get some clothes in as well. I agree paying for an extra checked bag, particularly multiple times, is a big issue.

One problem with traveling with infants is limited checked baggage space and weight. Fitting clothes for 2 adults and a child in 2 bags is a challenge. Also, handling the luggage and the child is another problem.

It sounds like you have a good plan, and will have a great trip.

7. Re: Availability of car seats for baby in Phuket taxis?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2014, 10:17