We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

European holiday destination with 15 month old

dublin
Level Contributor
19 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
European holiday destination with 15 month old

Hi, looking for some advice...looking to go on holidays for 2 weeks in mid july...we love the outdoors, long walks (with a buggy these days!), swimming, beach, sunshine, few local restaurants, self catering accommodation....I was recommended saint jean de luz but it's very expensive for accommodation from what I see...also looked at tossa de mar....like small places but maybe access to a city for the last few days of the holiday... Anyone have any suggestions....

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
26,743 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: European holiday destination with 15 month old

I would look at the Costa Del Sol, the Canary Islands, the Algarve in Portugal for cost effective locations, and one thing to look for is a place where the streets are smooth enough so the buggy ride is comfortable for your child...cobblestones are hard trekking...........

Edited: 05 March 2013, 14:58
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: European holiday destination with 15 month old

Hi, I would also recommend Portugal's Algarve.

I have been going there for over 10 years now, both as a family with my children and now just myself and my wife as my children are now independent.

Lots of family resorts from Tavira in the east to Lagos and Burgau in the west.

In between you have Vilamoura, Olhus d'Agua, Carvoeira, Alvor which I think would suit your needs.

If you post the same question on the Algarve forum you will get a more detailed reply.

Hope this helps.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,171 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: European holiday destination with 15 month old

Molly, if you can get away for the first two weeks of July, prices and availability may be better. The UK schools break up around 19 July, and prices reflect this.

Would add a recommendation to those above... Salou/Stiges/Estartit on the Costa Brava. You can take a day trip into Barcelona from Salou.

London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: European holiday destination with 15 month old

One idea would be Italy for walking outdoors, or to get in touch with nature, you can search a villa or cottage on tripadvisor. As the main routes I advise you: Siena, Florence, San Gimignano, the Tuscan hills are a really nice place. Here's an example of a Tuscan villa with swimming pool tripadvisor.co.uk/VacationRentalReview-g1879… near siena where we had a good holiday, you can also visited Volterra and Bolgheri.

Edited: 08 March 2013, 17:15
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,743 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: European holiday destination with 15 month old

Italy, as suggested in the previous post, is certainly an amazing place to visit, and very family friendly....Italians welcome children with open arms...

Lyme Regis, United...
Level Contributor
130 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: European holiday destination with 15 month old

We took Ella to kefalonia. Clear waters. Lovely food

We also love Majorca and close to home

dublin
Level Contributor
19 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: European holiday destination with 15 month old

Thank you all for your help, after much consideration we have decided to go to Lucca, Italy. Settling for a pool instead of a beach but otherwise the location sounds perfect for us!

Thanks again

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,743 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: European holiday destination with 15 month old

molly.................what a lucky child you have!.........enjoy your time in Lucca :)

dublin
Level Contributor
19 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: European holiday destination with 15 month old

Thanks! I think we are the lucky ones having her! We were in Ischia and Sorrento last year and loved the way Italians were so baby friendly! Thanks for yer help!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,743 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: European holiday destination with 15 month old

You're welcome...........I feel the same way about my daughter too :)