We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go on city break?

Essex
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go on city break?

Hi Guys,

I need your help!

I'm really stuck on where to take my boyfriend on a city break for his 22nd birthday this August. I was hoping to make it a romantic one.

I'm a little on budget not wanting to spend over £700 for hotel, flights & transfers if this is even possible!? (I am happy to used public transport)

Everyone knows that they have a hotel they have stayed before whereby it has exceeded expectations. I really do hope that you share.

I have been trawling through Trip Advisor trying the find the best destination for a city break and then the best Hotel/ B&B. (preferably including some kind of breakfast or dinner)

Please help and share if you know of any fantastic deals but at budget prices.

Many thanks

Chelsea

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,079 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go on city break?

How long is this break for?............what country are you thinking of visiting?

Essex
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go on city break?

Hi Eden7,

Looking for a romantic break anywhere but UK.

Also a long weekend preferably. (2-3 nights)

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,079 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go on city break?

I think Paris would make a great romantic long weekend jaunt....as for budget, anyplace can be as expensive or economic as you decide to make it, especially depending on your food and lodging choices.....

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,336 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go on city break?

Have you considered Barcelona, i have been a couple of times with my wife and have really enjoyed the short break.

Stayed in a hotel on room only and ate out which we found to be the most economic option.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go on city break?

I'd pick Amsterdam but I'm biased ;)

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go on city break?

Paris. I have stayed in inexpensive hotels. Typically french, romantic and memorable!

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,350 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go on city break?

Paris vote for me too. You may be able to get a Eurostar rail ticket cheaper than a no frills flight, but sometimes British Airways/Air France can be cheaper. Suggest you look at fight prices first, and you can then adjust your accommodation budget.

It is nearly always cheaper to book your flights directly with an airline than through a web agent.

Paris in August is very hot and muggy, and August is the time when most Parisians leave the city for their own holidays... so accommodation prices may be a little bit cheaper. Having said that, it is a very popular tourist city, so expect it to be heaving.

If you can get reasonable flights, I'd suggest both Barcelona and Prague as very good alternatives.

Friends have been to Krakow in Poland, and said it was one of the best city breaks they had done,( great food, lots to see, good range of hotels) prices are substantially cheaper than many other city breaks, and it will be hot in Poland in August.

Hope you have a great time.

London, United...
Level Contributor
247 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to go on city break?

If you are both under 26 Paris is good. Under 26s and in the EU get free entry to Lourve, Arc d' triumph etc. Just show your passport. In my view Paris from the UK is something that shoul be done at some point, so makes sense while some attractions are free!

Otherwise I would recommend Budapest. It's really quite cheap (not in the euro either), but stunning and when we were there (Dec) was crowd free! (Where as Paris was packed in Feb).

Hth

Essex
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to go on city break?

Thanks so much for all your feedback. I shall update you all soon on where I chose to go :) xxx

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,715 posts
1,737 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to go on city break?

I would choose between Paris, Amsterdam or Munich.