We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for an east coast beach town similiar to Seaside, FL

Fort walton Beach...
Level Contributor
131 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for an east coast beach town similiar to Seaside, FL

Hi everyone.

We happen to live pretty close to Seaside, Florida. We love everything about Seaside. It's close to the beach. You can rent bikes. Everything is within walking distance - restaurants, entertainment, shopping. Although it's geared towards tourists, it's a quieter vibe. No mini golf or t-shirt shops or arcades. We love that about it and often spend a lazy Saturday morning in the area.

What I'm looking for is something similar but a little farther from home - somewhere on the east coast of the US (Florida, Georgia, the Carolinas). A small beach town where we can park our car (for the most part), rent bikes, shop, eat, and generally relax.

Any ideas?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for an east coast beach town similiar to Seaside, FL

Ocracoke, NC might appeal to you. It's an island community that is accessed by ferry (you can bring your car). Another option is Beaufort, NC. Both have a relaxing, historical vibe and access to some beautiful beaches nearby.

Edited: 09 April 2013, 15:26
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
356 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for an east coast beach town similiar to Seaside, FL

I highly recommend Kiawah Island, SC. It's a gated island, you must be an owner or renter to come and go. It's very quiet and very beach-accessible from any condo you would rent. There are tons of bike rentals available and many, many trails. We spent a lovely week here one summer and I would go back in a heartbeat. I've visited Seaside, FL, and would call the two areas very similar. However, you would need to leave Kiawah and go to the mainland to find any shops & restaurants. It's not even slightly commercial.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
59 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for an east coast beach town similiar to Seaside, FL

2nd vote for Kiawah. I live in Charleston and Kiawah is just what you are looking for.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,061 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for an east coast beach town similiar to Seaside, FL

Nantucket, Martha's VIneyard, many towns on Cape Cod and up in Maine are like this. In fact, they are what Seaside is based on. Also, Cape May in New Jersey.

5. Re: Looking for an east coast beach town similiar to Seaside, FL

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2014, 07:17