We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling with my 14-year old nephews

Toronto, Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travelling with my 14-year old nephews

A very special birthday present -- 7 or 8 day trips with one boy at a time (they are fraternal twins), or both together, this summer (August). If separate trips, there will be two destinations. I'm thinking of flying from North America to Paris, Barcelona, or Florence. I'm overwhelmed re how to decide which destination, where to stay (priorities: clean, safe, well located, reasonably priced) and what to do at destination. Should we stay in town or are there great side trips? Is the cost of one destination appreciably different from another? The boys are bright, well behaved, love the arts among many other things, and are generally curious. Can you help with trip planning suggestions? Many thanks.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,268 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling with my 14-year old nephews

You can't go wrong with any of the three cities listed, they all have the attributes you're wishing for; history, arts, wonderful food, amazing culture. IME, I've found Paris and Barcelona a touch more expensive than Florence - and that was travelling with a two year old. Having said that, it really comes down to tastes, preferences, type of accommodation and other travelling habits. All three have absolute merits as a destination, but of the three my personal choice - if I had to pick one - would be Florence. Side trip? Tuscany. But for the interests of a 14 year old, perhaps Paris maybe a better option, as there are world recognised icons such as the Eiffel Tower, The Louvre, Notre Dame etc that they know and can relate to immediately - and with a short ride on the Eurostar, London is a feasible side trip for a couple days.

Was there a specific reason you're considering taking the nephews separately? Aside from the obvious logistics of looking after two boys instead of one, perhaps you maybe able to visit a couple of cities with the budget of two trips - together in one.

Edited: 29 April 2013, 00:41
Toronto, Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling with my 14-year old nephews

Thank you for the comments. In terms of separate trips or all together, really there are a couple of considerations. You are right, it's more expensive to take separate trips and that is an important factor. The other side of the coin is that the dynamics are different one-on-one; one of my nephews in particular would prefer this, just to spend individual time with me (but would understand if the three of us travel together). The logistics of being responsible for both at once is not a factor at all; however, there wouldn't be much of an opportunity for private conversation since, obviously, I can't leave either one on his own at that age. I took their older sister on a one-on-one trip to London at the same age and it was amazing.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling with my 14-year old nephews

I think they are lucky boys and will have fun wherever you go. Fantastic idea to take them separately! They will remember it and love you forever. Twins are forever getting lumped into one unit.

How about going to two different cities? Then when they grow up, they can show each other the sights when they're college students off on their own. Maybe you'll get invited along.

Edited: 29 April 2013, 05:25
Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling with my 14-year old nephews

Normally I''d pick Paris for a trip like that but august is not the best month imo because august is the time the French take there own vacation and Paris is not as vibrant as it is in say spring. On the other hand, Tuscany will be crowded in august so that leaves Barcelona..... a wonderful city for sure!.

Tet

5. Re: Travelling with my 14-year old nephews

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2014, 06:18