We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Destinations Conducive to Meeting Other Families

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
186 posts
Save Topic
Travel Destinations Conducive to Meeting Other Families

Hello Forum,

I know this question is probably too general but not sure where to start. This summer (August) the family vacation with just be myself and my almost 14 year old son. We have 10 days - two weeks depending on cost of the trip. Two years ago with the expertise and help from the CR forum, he and I had a great time is Costa Rica but it did get lonely at times with just the two of us. It just didn't work out to connect with other families at the various accommodations or tours we went on except one night time jungle tour - with a toddler and her father! We are not all inclusive resort travelers or family-theme vacationers. We like nature, beach and local culture. But are there organizations or places that specialize in getting families together or booked in the same locations?

As a larger family we have traveled to various parts of Mexico - which we love. Central and South America are of interest. We have not really traveled to much of the U.S. at all. The West Coast is of interest. And of course August weather takes some places out of the running.

thanks

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
357 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Destinations Conducive to Meeting Other Families

I've not experienced it myself, but the one common place I always hear of kids hooking up with other kids is on cruises. If a cruise would be of interest to you, there are lines/ships that cater to families and have teen programs on board.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
357 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Destinations Conducive to Meeting Other Families

I've not experienced it myself, but the one common place I always hear of kids hooking up with other kids is on cruises. If a cruise would be of interest to you, there are lines/ships that cater to families and have teen programs on board.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
186 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Destinations Conducive to Meeting Other Families

Thanks - I know that is a popular family vacation with a lot of kid activities but not something

I enjoy - I get too queasy and claustrophobic!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
357 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Destinations Conducive to Meeting Other Families

Totally understood. You may want to try Tripadvisor's sister site familyvacationcritic.com. You may find some good ideas on there. I use it a lot. Good luck!

NJ
Level Contributor
399 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Destinations Conducive to Meeting Other Families

We always seem to meet nice people when we are tent camping. At the end of a day of hiking/rafting/sight-seeing etc, the kids all seem to wind up at the campground pool/playground/arcade/bingo/bike paths (etc) and get to know each other. One suggestion is Big Meadows Campground in Shenandoah National Park (Virginia), which has great hiking and wonderful ranger programs that attract a friendly crowd. Lots of other places would work just as well.

Phoenix
Level Contributor
251 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel Destinations Conducive to Meeting Other Families

Look for places that have communal dining if you want to meet others while traveling - one place in particular we loved is in Belize. It is called Caves Branch Jungle lodge. You eat together every night at large tables and discuss yours days adventures with others. You also go on the adventures with the other guests staying there so can become familiar real quick. The excursions they offer go from pretty tame like touring the ancient Mayan ruins to more intense like our 1.5 mile spelunking through a cave to jump off the waterfalls at the end (with a climb up a 100 foot rock face midway through to see some Mayan artifacts being catalouged) to the more serene like cave tubing. All a blast and it really is a great place to meet others sharing your same adventures.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
186 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel Destinations Conducive to Meeting Other Families

Thanks for the suggestions all! I have done some reading about Cave Branch Jungle Lodge and it sounds like a place that offers great adventures and the opportunity to meet other families. My initial research yields good reviews about it although some have said it is pricey and the lack of a/c in the cabins can be oppressive but I am making some inquires there.

More ideas and suggestions welcome.

Phoenix
Level Contributor
251 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel Destinations Conducive to Meeting Other Families

Caves Branch is a little on the expensive side, but you are well cared for and the treehouse accommodations are luxury in the rain forest, except for the lack of AC! There is a fan overhead- though the electricity can cut in and out at night, when we were there in June and with the fan on it was comfortable especially because you get the breeze coming through the walls when up a little higher. Ian Anderson and his staff will do everything they can to make you comfortable, and have great adventure. As you can tell, we loved it there, bugs, howler monkeys and all. Which I should mention, if you are squeamish about bugs, etc then probably not the place for you - obviously it is in the middle of the rainforest, we had a small mouse and a scorpion in our treehouse :)

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel Destinations Conducive to Meeting Other Families

What about a holiday for you both to share in learning something new? Sailing or diving, for example. Maybe too organised for you but I have heard of holidays which just have "lessons" in the morning and afternoons and evenings free, giving you space away from the group to do your own thing, or even spend time with others you've met if you have hit it off.

10. Re: Travel Destinations Conducive to Meeting Other Families

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 February 2014, 23:35