We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel with 5 and (almost) 3 year old in Europe

Accokeek, Maryland
Level Contributor
43 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Travel with 5 and (almost) 3 year old in Europe

I am looking for vacation suggestions for my family. We will be living in Manchester, UK for 9 months starting this June. We would like to make the most of our time there (we are from the US) and travel a bunch. We are looking to do a week possibly in August and definitely in October. We generally prefer countryside to city. Maybe some coastal/beach areas. We will have our two young children ages 5 and almost 3 with us. We also would like advice as to whether we should drive to our destinations, fly or take the train.

Thank you for all of your help!

Accokeek, Maryland
Level Contributor
43 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel with 5 and (almost) 3 year old in Europe

Also I should add that we have been to Germany, Italy, and Austria so we are looking to go to new countries. And we were considering Portugal and Spain for the October trip as we were hoping to go somewhere warm. Other suggestions are very welcome of course.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel with 5 and (almost) 3 year old in Europe

Souther Portugal (Algarve) and Spain (Andalusia) usually still hav good weather in october. You c an fly Faro for Portugal or Malag for Spain. Carrental there is not too expensive. There''s enough to see at both places to spend several weeks.

As you have never been to France I strongly suggest a trip to it. It's a wonderful country and you can make endless visits to France. With only a week maybe drive from UK and visit Normandy and Brittany in august. I've read about a ferry between UK and Brittany but have never done myself. And btw, a week in Paris also a place you'll never forget. It also is pretty easy to visit Belgium and The Netherlands. Amsterdam is a fantastic City and Belgium has Bruge for something special among other things.

Happy planning.

Tet

Level Contributor
10 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel with 5 and (almost) 3 year old in Europe

Seeing as you're in the UK, it's so easy to pop over to France, which is a wonderful place to spend a week (and bring home some wine). We usually take the car ferry and drive down to chalet camp in the Dordogne which is spectacular at any time though not very hot by October(!).

Chalet camping near Paris is a good option too if you wanted to spend time there. We stayed at Le Chene Gris which has a direct train into Paris at the entrance and was a good, basic site with nice pools.

Have some great holidays wherever you go!

4. Re: Travel with 5 and (almost) 3 year old in Europe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2013, 15:18
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel with 5 and (almost) 3 year old in Europe

With 9 month I think the OP already has time to explore some of UK.

Accokeek, Maryland
Level Contributor
43 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel with 5 and (almost) 3 year old in Europe

Bump

Level Contributor
3 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel with 5 and (almost) 3 year old in Europe

The north of Majorca is beautiful and very family friendly. Agrotourismo offer good accommodation in rural locations often with pools. We took our 15 month old and I was pregnant - really relaxing holiday and short flight too

Manika
Level Contributor
5 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel with 5 and (almost) 3 year old in Europe

any suggestion for 10 days of Europe with a 5 year old? may 2014. Preferably with TGV trip as kid is train fanactic, can fly from us east coast to any major city

9. Re: Travel with 5 and (almost) 3 year old in Europe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2014, 05:16