We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heater in Europe

Level Contributor
41 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Heater in Europe

Hi, I noticed that temperatures plunged during the night even during summer. How can I make the heater heat the temperature to over 28 degrees as I cannot adapt to such a cold climate at night during my trip to Europe as I am from a tropical zone.

Thanks😃

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,690 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heater in Europe

Clearly your first challenge will be surviving the flights since the temperature in the cabin will be in the mid twenties. You will also face the same problem during the daytime if you are not limiting your visit to Southern or Central Europe.

It is unlikely that the air conditioning even in high end hotels will offer a heating function during the summer months. In private apartments they typically turn off the central heating completely during the summer. If you are visiting Southern Europe, it is possible that hotels are stocking electrical heaters for use during the winter. They might let you use one despite the extra cost of electricity.

Otherwise you just have to bury yourself under the blanket provided by the hotel. If you are sure that this will not be enough, buy a sleeping bag designed for arctic conditions - that should keep you warm enough whatever the outside temperature.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heater in Europe

Wear insulated shoes, wintersocks, long johns and long underwear, warm hat, gloves or mittens. Are you serious?

Level Contributor
41 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heater in Europe

True enough, the temperature of the airplane is freezzzzzingly cold especially when it reaches a high altitude where the air temperature is cold. Long journey flights can indeed be an ordeal to those afraid of the cold. I took Lufthansa for thirteen hours to Frankfurt and the temperature was very low. Thanks alot. I shall bring more winter wear next time.😄

England, United...
Level Contributor
9,875 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heater in Europe

If the OP found the cabin temperature of his last flight to Europe to be "freezingly cold" then it's a small miracle that he or anyone else on board survived.

The laws of thermo-dynamics, to say nothing of physiology and aeronautical physics, tend to suggest that if the true temperature of the aircraft was as he says, he, and the aircraft, would have disintegrated once it reached approx 15,000 feet.

If you have a propensity to feel cold, wear more clothes, and, with all due respect, stop exaggerating, please.

White Beach...
Destination Expert
for Tasmania
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heater in Europe

Even if your hotel air conditioner works also as a heater, it may not allow you to adjust the temperature that high! I think you need to look at appropriate clothing first and take a more relaxed approach rather than assume its going to be horrible.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,557 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heater in Europe

Europe's a big place. Where are you actually going?

7. Re: Heater in Europe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2014, 05:16