We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Want to Visit Central/Eastern European Countries, have 15 da

Danville...
Level Contributor
69 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Want to Visit Central/Eastern European Countries, have 15 da

Need some advise. Flying into Warsaw from San Fran on April 6, Flying back early April 20th. Plan to visit Krakow, Prague, Budapest, Vienna and Salzburg. Would it better to drive through these countries (total distance comes out to be around 1800 miles) or use trains. There is an Eastern European Rail pass , unlimited travel for 7 days in 1 month to Poland, Czeck, Slovakia, Hungary and Austria. The first class ticket is about $380 per person. Can anyone please make some recommendations? We are a family of four. How are the roads, is it safe to travel by road, facilities etc etc? Thanks

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,275 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Want to Visit Central/Eastern European Countries, have 15 da

Are you going to return to Warsaw to your return flight?

The very first thing to check is if the Polish car rental agencies let you take the car across the border. In my native Finland you cannot do this even briefly to visit the neighboring Sweden or Norway which are also Schengen countries so that there is no passport control when entering them from Finland.

The Train Travel forum has lots of expertise on train travel in Europe, so you should ask there. In general rail passes are considered poor value, but I have never heard of this Eastern European Rail pass. In Europe the benefits of 1st class train travel are rather marginal over the quite decent 2nd class carriages, so most people prefer not to pay the premium.

Edited: 15 July 2013, 06:41
Danville...
Level Contributor
69 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Want to Visit Central/Eastern European Countries, have 15 da

Yes, we are taking the return flight from Warsaw. I can rent a car from SIXT and the allow to drive it to all Eastern European countries. However, I am not able to find how the roads are. Also, most of the signs are written in each country's native language. I am a bit apprehensive about driving, although it gives you lot of freedom. I can get East European pass for around $350 each, which allow 5-6 days travel in Audtria, Poland, Czeck, Hungaru and Slovakia. However, the distances from Warsaw are far and train journey is around 9-10 hours getting out of Poland. I am thinking about Flying into Prague and then taking trains. I would like your input. Thanks

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Want to Visit Central/Eastern European Countries, have 15 da

Maybe try the Road Trips forum for more info:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_T…

Personally I'd take train there.

4. Re: Want to Visit Central/Eastern European Countries, have 15 da

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2014, 06:19