We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cambodia vs Vietnam and Bali vs Thailand

Coolangatta...
1 post
Save Topic
Cambodia vs Vietnam and Bali vs Thailand

My husband and I are planning a trip with three teenage children for around 3 weeks. We have been to Bali and Thailand and would like to go back to either for a few days but we have not been to Cambodia or Vietnam. Where do you suggest we start and finish? Dont want it to be too hectic . Thank you for your help.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cambodia vs Vietnam and Bali vs Thailand

You did not give alot of details about what you are looking for at any of these destinations. For me, Bali is good for up to a week, assuming you are looking for alot of beach time. While I enjoyed Bali, it is an island. Thailand offers more diversity as far as what you can do. Air connections should be simple from Bangkok to Cambodia or Vietnam. I suspect easier than from Bali, but I am more familiar with Thailand so I may be mistaken on this point.If you went to another city in Thailand you would likely have to connect through Bangkok. If you chose Thailand and Cambodia, you could avoid the air connection altogether, if you chose to.

The big question is what are you looking for in Bali or Thailand. If it is beach time, then I am not sure it matters alot. If it was my trip, I would make the choice based on cost and ease of getting to the other destination. If you are looking for other than beaches, Thailand wins for me.

I believe Bangkok will likely offer the best air connections. The downside with Bangkok is that the best Thai beaches and the north will also likely require a domestic air connection, though other options do exist.

As far as Cambodia or Vietnam, I do not know.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,099 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cambodia vs Vietnam and Bali vs Thailand

I have a family trip to Cambodia & Vietnam with a Singapore stop over on the way home in January.

We are flying SIA - Syd - Siem Reap (via Singapore), then Phnom Penh, Saigon, Hoi An, Hanoi ,Halong Bay, Hanoi - Singapore then home.

Byron Bay, Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Legian
Level Contributor
3,476 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cambodia vs Vietnam and Bali vs Thailand

I would suggest Bali and Cambodia. Go to Bali first and then fly Air Asia to Cambodia, my daughter and I flew into Siem Reap as we wanted to spend our time at the magnificent Angkor Wat temples which were spectacular. Unless flights have changed you have to overnight in Kuala Lumpur as the flight to Cambodia leaves early. I absolutely loved Cambodia as it was very different to Bali and so interesting,

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cambodia vs Vietnam and Bali vs Thailand

I really loved Vietnam. Three weeks there would not be too much, but you could also go to Siem Reap.

Getting around on the ground in Vietnam takes a lot of time, so rushing from point A to point B is not possible. That is part of the charm.

5. Re: Cambodia vs Vietnam and Bali vs Thailand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2014, 05:17