We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking with Children

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
5 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Walking with Children

Hi,

We're going to Europe next year with kids aged 4.5 & 2.5, visiting major cities such as London, Paris, Venice, Florence & Rome.Obviously both kids will tire when walking around town and walking around attractions such as museums etc.

I would love to hear what people found worked best. Did people find strollers or backpacks worked well? Or were they more hassle than they were worth - e.g. getting on planes/trains/buses/taxis.

Thank you

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,955 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking with Children

From my experience, a cheap light fold up pushchair (stroller) works best. A child can nap, drink and eat more easily in a pushchair than in a backpack. You can also add sun shades and clip on some toys too. European parents manage pushchairs, even in Venice! I'd suggest checking your airlines policy on carrying/storing pushchairs. Some load pushchairs at the front of the hold luggage so that they come off first.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,588 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking with Children

This is just my most recent experience.

I was in all those cities you mentioned throughout all of March with a 2 year old. As always, we took a lightweight collapsible stroller but found we never ended up using it. Using the transport systems such as the Underground, Metro etc were easy enough, and when we needed it. taxis readily available. Germany was the only place where transport regulations demanded we had a babyseat.

Yes, there maybe times you need to carry your 2 year old or catch a taxi, but the 4.5 year old should cope just fine. Travellers often focus on what's needed for those cities, but in the excitement often forget the pro's and con's of travel carrying a pram - especially in a place like Europe, where you'll be constantly boarding trains and planes. Less you have to carry, the more free hands you'll have to monitor the little ones.

Have a brilliant holiday!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,020 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking with Children

I think the key is to set your pace accordingly and make sure you don't over plan your itinerary. The stroller is handy if the kids need to sleep while you are on the move.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
112 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking with Children

We have always taken our large bulky pram away with us, though noted last trip the pram was getting hard to push he was 4.5 years.

However I am a big fan of the pram as kids can sit if tired and even have a nap. It also gives you somewhere to store your day bag and shopping.

However it maybe difficult to negotiate on cobbled streets. Think about your prams wheels.

I shall miss our pram next trip.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking with Children

i'm interested in the responses as we will be doing the same with a 16 month old next year. we plan on taking our baby carrier with us as well as pram, as people have told us prams can be difficult. we have quite a large pram (60cm width) but it has large wheels and can go on uneven surfaces including sand. we are thinking of taking this as we don't want to have to buy another stroller just for the trip. we are driving though, so besides getting in and out of europe we won't have to do frequent plane travel with a pram. we hope to use the pram when possible and when we can't, trying to plan our day so we carry her in the carrier and get back to our hotel for her nap. but like i said, we haven't done the trip yet ;)

Edited: 26 July 2013, 11:30
kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,955 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking with Children

From your other posts, seems that you will be touring Europe for 3 months and your daughter will be 16 months old when you start your trip.

By that age your daughter may have physically outgrown her pram, and be walking too. It may be better to wait a bit nearer to your departure date and make a decision then about pushchairs/backpacks etc.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,588 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking with Children

>>>we are thinking of taking this as we don't want to have to buy another stroller just for the trip<<<

Although I understand the usefulness of your 'all terrain' pram, something I mentioned on a previous thread was regarding the demanding toll it took during the flights.

The first and only time my wife decided to take her prized Bugaboo, it arrived home with dents, scratches and one buckled wheel. Ever since then, we took a cheap, lightweight collapsible from BabysRUs - came with a tough canvas bag for $60.

Just a thought.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
112 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking with Children

As mentioned we have always taken our large bulky pram. I place it in a large garbage bag to protect it from dirt, however now can easily by universal pram bags in baby and department stores, might seem a bit expensive for one trip however if you plan on travelling once or twice a year the cost could be worth it.

Our pram is an Love n Care Adiva Sports; the wheels click off easily with one simply push of a button and we fold down all the handle bars. We ensure there are no protruding parts to dent or buckle. We always load the pram through at the oversize area and don't allow it to be sent down the conveyor belt, nor do we do gate check.

PS our son has been happy in the pram up until 4.5yrs.

tel aviv
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking with Children

I always take both- stroller and a carrier - when they get tired you put them in the stroller and they take a sleep - really helpful. I highly recommend a twin trolley with these ages.

Be a ware that in Venice you can't use a trolley- I highly recommend a baby carrier for the 2.5 years child.

Meital

Seekatrip

Bellevue, Washington
Level Contributor
18 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walking with Children

Take a cheap stroller and leave there once you are done or better yet buy a cheap one once you are off the plane. You will need it. The Backpack is nice for when you go hiking or when the younger one is fussy and wants you. I recommend both too.