We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where and what resort to go to with 12 year old?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
630 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where and what resort to go to with 12 year old?

I am so confused by different views on here and other sites that I thought I would just ask the questions and see what I got. My husband and I would like to take our 12 year old son on a vacation for 1 week at the end of November/early December 2013. Where can we go if this is what we are looking for....

A great all inclusive resort that is 4 stars or better with good food or at least reasonably good food. Has great pools for the 12 year old with some waterslides if possible. Would love to be able to visit at spot where my son could learn how to surf. We are not looking for the huge touristy hotels with overcrowding and a lot of noise. My husband has not travelled alot and I would like to be able to take him somewhere he would be impressed enough that he would want to travel again without running into too many problems. Would like to stay away from Mexico at this time and hopefully find something in the Caribbean. I thought of Cuba, but hearing way too many people complaining that the food is just too bad. Punta Cana was my next thought, but would like to hear more as some people have complained saying not much to see other than the resort you would be staying at. Last request is that it be reasonably priced, looking to pay about $1,000.00 per person type of thing. Is this impossible? Thank you for any help.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
29,256 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where and what resort to go to with 12 year old?

Try the Iberostar hotels at Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic.......the Iberostar Grand is adult only, but others family friendly, and just what you describe...........they also have some great ones in Mexico, but you aren't looking there....

Edited: 25 August 2013, 00:43
Vancouver
Level Contributor
630 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Where and what resort to go to with 12 year old?

Have you stayed there yourself? I will check it out, thank you.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,256 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where and what resort to go to with 12 year old?

Yes, both Punta Cana and Playa Paraiso, Mexico...............

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,256 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where and what resort to go to with 12 year old?

I noticed the comment in your post about hearing negative comments with regard to food/accommodation in Cuba, and I'm sorry to say that my experience in Cuba was the same............

Vancouver
Level Contributor
630 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Where and what resort to go to with 12 year old?

So, just curious. People flock to Cuba obviously for the beaches and culture in Havana I assume, but would you ten have to always stay at a 5 star hotel, and would that make any difference in the food at all? I just don't want to pay a huge hotel bill and still get terrible food. Any other suggestions on where to go? Have you visited anywhere else in the Caribbean?

Thank you again

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
30,117 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where and what resort to go to with 12 year old?

I don't think you get much surfing in the Caribbean. Have you looked at the Pacific Coast of Costa Rica?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where and what resort to go to with 12 year old?

I think every people have different think and different lifestyle but it is depends on what do you prefer and what would you like to have ?

8. Re: Where and what resort to go to with 12 year old?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2014, 07:19