We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Week Family Holiday USA - Itinerary Suggestions Please

Darling Downs...
Level Contributor
108 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
3 Week Family Holiday USA - Itinerary Suggestions Please

I have finally booked return flights to LA (from Brisbane) after waiting for sales etc for mid June next year. My kids will be 7 and 3 and a half when we go. I really want to take them to Disneyland so I am thinking we will spend the first 4 days at Anaheim and visit the parks.

I am hoping to get some ideas for the rest of the trip. At some stage we want to visit friends in Kansas for about 4 days. So now I have to make up an itinerary based around those two things that are a definite on the itinerary.

Other couple of options I am considering are San Fransisco or Rocky Mountains (Breckenridge) for a few days. Possibly even a big road trip over to Kansas. It's hard deciding what to do!

My husband have been to the USA before kids and went to Memphis, Nashville, RMNP (estes park), and Las Vegas. RMNP was a highlight for us.

Any suggestions???

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
26,923 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Week Family Holiday USA - Itinerary Suggestions Please

Hi Kelly...............if you are considering driving to Kansas (the road trip you mentioned), you'd be best to check in with the Road Trips forum here on Trip Advisor............the questions are answered by folks with lots of personal experience...........San Francisco is a great city........I'm sure you'd love visiting there.........the Pacific Coast Highway(PCH) is a beautifully scenic drive up the California coast..........perhaps renting a car after Anaheim might interest you, and you'd drive up to San Francisco.......once again, the Road Trips forum could give you lots of specifics here, as well as the destination forums of San Fran and Kansas City too...........there is also a terrific zoo located in San Diego that your children would enjoy....

Edited: 16 September 2013, 18:28
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,050 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Week Family Holiday USA - Itinerary Suggestions Please

Personally, I think trying to drive all the way from LA to Kansas is not entirely practical. First thing that comes to mind is that you would almost certainly do it as a one-way trip, and the drop fees on the rental car over that distance would almost certainly run you an additional $1000+ over your rental and insurance costs.

I'd be inclined to plan a loop or short one-way from LA, then an internal flight to somewhere closer to your friends. Three weeks is a good length, but not long enough to take on an enormous amount of driving for the purpose of just getting from A to B.

I'd completely agree with the California coast - we just did that this summer. Include the Redwoods in Humbolt County. Then inland to Yosemite and Kings Canyon, and your kids would also love San Deigo, another great destination worth several days on its own.

Another possibility is to drive inland from LA through to the Grand Canyon as a one-way drive, then a flight from somewhere like Flagstaff to get to Kansas.

Darling Downs...
Level Contributor
108 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 Week Family Holiday USA - Itinerary Suggestions Please

Thanks, that's exactly what I have been thinking (not driving through to Kansas). I am thinking of two options at the moment:

Disneyland / Fly to Denver and visit Breckenridge and Colorado Springs and then drive to friends in Kansas / then fly back to San Diego for several days before flying home.

Or

Disneyland / pick up rental car and drive highway 1 to San Fran with 2 overnight stops on the way / fly to friends in Kansas / fly back to San Diego.

We did love Colorado last time we were there.

Thanks for you help.

Darling Downs...
Level Contributor
108 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 Week Family Holiday USA - Itinerary Suggestions Please

I should mention I posted in this forum as it's important for me to make a plan that suits my children. I think its important not to be on the go too much so we have a chance to stop and relax so the kids are not always overtired.

5. Re: 3 Week Family Holiday USA - Itinerary Suggestions Please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2014, 06:22