We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costa Rica

San Diego
Level Contributor
5 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Costa Rica

My husband and I go to Kauai every year. We would like to branch out. I am determined to see a monekey in this lifetime! We love snorkeling but also the jungle. We know nothing about Costa Rica, but hear it is a lot of both. Any suggestions? We love vacation rentals and so far have seen a small place on the beach in Cabuya. Is there snorkeling? Monkeys? Is it safe? We have heard of a few friends that have gone over and been robbed. Any info would be great! Thanks!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Costa Rica

You are probably better off posting on the destination forum for specific information. My wife and I recently went to Costa Rica, albeit without our son so not really family travel. As far as getting robbed, I never thought we were in danger of physical violence. San Jose appeared to have some rough areas, but so do many cities in the USA. The central areas of San Jose, where most tourists are likely to end up, appeared to me to warrant caution but not paranoia.

Costa Rica is a compact country and easy to visit. The road system is decent, but not great. It is certainly usable. Where we visited, primarily Mal Pais, the coast was beautiful. We are not much in to snorkeling, but the beached were awesome. I would certainly consider a return visit.

You will probably find more information on the Costa Rica forum.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,312 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Costa Rica

As I understand it, the poor rainforest soils create a lot of run off, which smothers off shore life. We had masks with us, but didn't see much in the water where we were, and my research suggested that it wasn't much of a snorkling destination.

Monkeys on the other hand! Yes, amazing encounters with howler monkeys and white faced monkeys. Quite something!

San Diego
Level Contributor
5 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Costa Rica

Thank you so much for the info. I am very new to this forum thing and am still trying to navigate. Your info is very helpful!

San Diego
Level Contributor
5 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Costa Rica

Monkeys sounds great! Maybe we could stop somewhere else on the trip for snorkeling. Thanks for your info!

NJ
Level Contributor
396 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Costa Rica

We went to Costa Rica for thirteen days this past July and loved it! The kids were 9 and 12 (at the time) and really enjoyed the different experiences. We stayed in an ecolodge near Arenal, then on a farm in Bijagua (near Rio Celeste), then a hotel resort in Playa Panama (a quiet and calm beach on the Pacific coast), then one night at a small inn near Poas Volcano before flying out of SJO. We did not get into San Jose at all. We loved all the lodging, plus the day trips hiking, waterfalls, volcanoes, ziplines, beach, animal rescue sanctuary, etc. So much to do -- and friendly people who always made us feel welcome. The folks on the Costa Rica forum were very helpful. I spent a lot of time reading there before making our plans, and it was worth every minute.

San Diego
Level Contributor
5 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Costa Rica

I thank you so much for all of the info. It sure sounds like you had one great adventure. It is nice to hear about the friendliness of the people. I am a true animal lover and also love the jungle and beach. I don't know what to expect from Cabayo, but will definitely do some research. I think my husband and I are ready to step out of the Kauai box. This will be a solo trip without our kids (who are 26 and 28). You have encouraged me.

Thank You!

NJ
Level Contributor
396 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Costa Rica

I couldn't recommend Costa Rica highly enough. If you're thinking seriously of going (which it seems like you are), I suggest that you start reading/posting in the the Costa Rica forums. There's so much information out there to help plan a wonderful trip. I did my "homework" before our vacation and it was worth every minute!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Costa Rica

If you want to see monkeys, go to La Posada Private Jungle Bungalows in Manuel Antonio. This is a great little property with excellent staff and the monkeys visit the hotel everyday. You are at the entrance to the national park and a 2 minute walk to the beach. The snorkelling is not good in this area ( I am comparing to Maui) but the surfing and the boogie boarding is great !

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Costa Rica

There are more monkeys than you can count at about 11am in Manuel Antonio National Park. Charge your camera battery before you go :)

10. Re: Costa Rica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2015, 07:18