We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pacific Northwest Road Trip

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
11 posts
Save Topic
Pacific Northwest Road Trip

Hi guys,

So my girlfriend and I want to do a little roadtrip this upcoming summer to some of the national parks in Washington state and Vancouver. I'm having a little trouble planning out a route. We want to hit up Vancouver BC, Olympic NP, Seattle, Mt.Rainer, and North Cascades NP. We'd be flying in from Chicago. Where would it be best to fly into? Seattle or Vancouver? As for the rest, what would be the best route/most senic highways to take?

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,942 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pacific Northwest Road Trip

I almost guaranty you will save money flying into Seattle, but you should at least check Vancouver (there may be some special deal). Canadian airports have some fairly steep taxes, so keeping the airfare domestic will probably save you quite a bit of money. I am not that familiar with Washington so this may require more of a figure 8 trip than a circular route, but it will likely save enough money to be worth it.

For details about destinations and routes, you probably want to go to the appropriate destination forums. You are more likely to find people knowledgeable about a destination on the appropriate forum. There is always a chance somebody will know on the family travel forum, but a better chance on the destination forums.

Edited: 10 October 2013, 19:05
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pacific Northwest Road Trip

Thanks for the flight info, I'm def going to look into that.

And good call on the destination forum. Sorry, I'm new to the site :)

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
28,491 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pacific Northwest Road Trip

Hi Kelly..............the first post called it right...........since you have decided on your destinations, it's always best for you to check in with "that" destinations forum, 'cause the locals are the ones in "the know"......and in your case, since you're thinking "road trip", asking this question on the Road Trips Forum here on Trip Advisor will net you some info too.................it's located in the Beyond Destinations section.....sounds like you have a great trip in the making....enjoy!

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pacific Northwest Road Trip

Happy to help you on the Road Trips forum:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_T…

Another reason for flying Seattle is that carrental probably will be cheaper.

And also please tell us how long you are coming. And what your interests are. Hiking? Museums? Are kids travelling with you? etc.

Tet

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
28,016 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pacific Northwest Road Trip

<<a little roadtrip>>

Can you be more specific? How many days? How much driving per day?

I would suggest that you look at the Seattle-Victoria-Vancouver triangle as a starting plan, from which its easy to include side trips to the National Parks. The ferries add a fair amount to your costs for this trip, but the scenery is quite beautiful and worth it.

For those three cities alone, you need a week, so hopefully you are looking at 10 days to two weeks for this trip over all, and even then, you will probably have to cut some of your city time short to maximize your time in the parks.

On the Canadian side, I'd look at Juan de Fuca Provincial Park, the CRD Parks, the Gulf Islands National Marine Park Reserve and some of the BC Provincial Parks that surround Vancouver. We don't have any national parks near Vancouver.

…gov.bc.ca/bcparks/…

…gov.bc.ca/bcparks/…

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/bc/gulf/index.aspx

http://www.crd.bc.ca/parks/pick.htm

metrovancouver.org/services/…default.aspx

6. Re: Pacific Northwest Road Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2014, 05:17