We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favorite US or Canadian city

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Favorite US or Canadian city

What is your favorite city to visit in the summer with your kids? My kids are 7 and 9 and I really want to have a 'city vacation' in the US or Canada. We are from Texas so we have been all over our great state. I like the idea of having a city vacation and also finding a beach for 1 day. (Chicago?) The beach is not that important though. . . (please do not say Orlando. I am not ready for a Disney trip with the girls.. . .maybe next year )

We have done beach vacations for the last few years and I think my kids are ready to explore something new.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,900 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Favorite US or Canadian city

Washington DC is probably top of my list. New York, Chicago, and San Francisco all offer a diverse range of activities. Montreal is the one I would most like to visit but have not been there with the family.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,025 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Favorite US or Canadian city

Another vote for Washington DC and San Francisco.

If they were a little older, I would even include Atlanta

Edited: 22 October 2013, 03:42
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Favorite US or Canadian city

Quebec City and Vancouver for Canada. Seattle in the USA? Or combine Vancouver and Seattle.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,274 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Favorite US or Canadian city

Well Toronto is at the top of my list for Canadian cities.........being a resident has afforded me the opportunity to know the city inside and out, and I can heartily recommend Toronto and area as a wonderful family vacation spot..................see

The CN Tower

The Toronto Islands(with beach)

The Hockey Hall of Fame

Cruise Toronto Harbour

The Ripley's Aquarium

World famous Niagara Falls(90 minutes from Toronto and frequent day trip)

Niagara On The Lake and the Ontario Wine Country

The Ontario Science Centre

Canada's Wonderland (massive amusement park)

The incredible Toronto Zoo

The Royal Ontario Museum

The Bata Shoe Museum

The Art Gallery of Ontario

The Harbourfront

High Park(gorgeous city park similar to Central Park)...much like New York City, Toronto is a city of neighbourhoods, so you can visit Front St. and the Flatiron District, the St. Lawrence Market(voted "Worlds Best"), Yorkville and Bloor St(Toronto's "Mink Mile"-high end stores, Chanel, Gucci etc)

the Theatre District, the Distillery District, Chinatown, Little Italy, Greektown, Little India, and so much more....Toronto is a very easy city to walk, and public transit is everywhere so its very easy to get around

Visit the Toronto forum if you have questions, and we will be happy to help..........NYC is an absolute favorite U.S. city for my family and I....

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,274 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Favorite US or Canadian city

You can easily reach the Trip Advisor travel page for Toronto by clicking on the blue link contained within this post.............then you will be able to easily view a great deal of information with regard to attractions/hotels/restaurants and have access to the Toronto forum too..........

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,975 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Favorite US or Canadian city

Lake beach or ocean beach? Vancouver is wonderful, but for a family summer vacation on a lake, I'd head to Kelowna, BC. Its a small city at only just over 100k, but a spectacular area on a beautiful lake in our wine growing region and lots of great family things to do. And the water is warmer than SF. ;>

http://www.tourismkelowna.com

I like the other suggestions too, but the only one that stands out as a good beach destination is Vancouver. Here's a great website for family activities in Vancouver.

http://www.findfamilyfun.com

Bay Area
Level Contributor
9 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Favorite US or Canadian city

San Francisco, Santa Barbara, Seattle or Portland. Have fun!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
25,944 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Favorite US or Canadian city

I like DC for the museums, but I would say Chicago for the combo of food and things to do.

9. Re: Favorite US or Canadian city

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 December 2013, 14:35
North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Favorite US or Canadian city

Chicago gets my vote. If you can handle the combination of heat and humidity, a combination of Charleston and Savannah would also work.