We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Christmas Vacation : Where should we go? 3 children.

Duluth, Minnesota
2 posts
Save Topic
Family Christmas Vacation : Where should we go? 3 children.

We are wanting to take our first and last family vacation Dec. 23-31st. From the Cold Northern Minnesota Winter. Ages of children are 18, 15, and 10. My husband and I both do swing shifts and finally got the okay to have this time off.. Last minute destinations are hard to find. We have all been to Florida.. Any other ideas that are affordable and not booked?... (college is expensive:::}}}}) Would love any ideas!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
26,923 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Christmas Vacation : Where should we go? 3 children.

The time period you quote is the most expensive time I know of for a warm vacation destination......Christmas to New Year............and because there are 5 of you, hotel rooms will be hard to find...you'd likely need two rooms, which probably isn't what you want...........maybe look at a rental accommodation..............the Riviera Maya is a great place for a family vacation....I'm listing 2 websites below that you could use to find a vacation rental........

http://www.airbnb.com

http://www.vrbo.com

Dordrecht, The...
Level Contributor
476 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Christmas Vacation : Where should we go? 3 children.

If you need something affordable, you could try driving up to Ontario or heading to Michigan.

What sort of activities would you like to undertake?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,923 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Christmas Vacation : Where should we go? 3 children.

I get the impression the OP wants a warm weather vacation ................

Duluth, Minnesota
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Christmas Vacation : Where should we go? 3 children.

Some fun but also some history. Kids are athletic, parents not as much, so down hill skiing is out.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family Christmas Vacation : Where should we go? 3 children.

Myrtle Beach SC - affordable, not cold, history (in Charleston, less than 2 hours away), available. Charleston SC area - not as cheap, but possible to find VRBO rentals in places like Isle of Palms. Savannah/Hilton Head area.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
356 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family Christmas Vacation : Where should we go? 3 children.

If you are okay with ditching the cold weather for pleasant temps and the ability to do activities outside, your coastal options in the south are fairly open. If, however, you are looking for a beach/pool vacation, my advice would be to go as far south in Florida as possible, if staying in the continental US. I've spent many Christmases in the Orlando area, and it is generally not warm enough in that area for swimming at that time of year. It is generally rather cool. There is a chance it could be hot, but risky if booking an expensive vacation and hoping for good weather.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,057 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family Christmas Vacation : Where should we go? 3 children.

Do you have passports? First family vacation, so I'm guessing not. This will decide if you are staying within the US or traveling internationally.

San Deigo came to mind right away for me. Lots to do, warm enough to be good in winter and because its such a major tourist destination, you should be able to find hotels despite the late date.

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,504 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family Christmas Vacation : Where should we go? 3 children.

How about New Orleans? Like Wish2travel said, it's not going to be beach weather, but will be warmer than MN and isn't a huge holiday destination. Lots of history there, but I can't speak for the outdoor activities.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,923 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family Christmas Vacation : Where should we go? 3 children.

There are so many good suggestions in this thread........I have a real soft spot for New Orleans though..

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,923 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family Christmas Vacation : Where should we go? 3 children.

Trix3327.................if New Orleans interests you at all, try clicking on the blue link in this post....you'll access the TA Travel page for NOLA and see lots of great information there to help with trip planning.........