We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long Haul christmas suggestions

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Long Haul christmas suggestions

Following our first christmas away last year in Morocco, we are planning to do the same in 2006.

I am thinking perhaps Sri Lanka, for a minimum of 10 days, as The Beach hotel in Negombo is highly rated, but anywhere warm is fine.

Can anyone suggest destinations that we could try, suitable for our children aged 6 and 4.

Would prefer to stay in minimum 3* hotel rather than self catering, but I am open to your suggestions.

Look forward to hearing from you

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Long Haul christmas suggestions

I did New Zealand for Christmas and spent Christmas Day at the Bay Of Islands. Not too warm at that time. I did not have time to do Australia as well, but the Great Barrier Reef would be amazing.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
262 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long Haul christmas suggestions

Oh if you could afford it.....Maldives! check out that forum for suggestions on resorts for kids. Absolutely Heaven on Earth!

I live in the states and WISH I could afford it and travel time is crazy for me though.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,160 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long Haul christmas suggestions

Sydney at Christmas is wonderful great weather , beaches and lots to do with kids.

Near Oxford
Level Contributor
4 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long Haul christmas suggestions

Sydney though can be really hot around Christmas (in the 40s) and flights etc are costly.

Australian in...
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Long Haul christmas suggestions

The Whitsundays is great. If you pick the right island they will have fantastic activities for the kids to keep them occupied, its warm and friendly. we stayed at Daydream Island and you could snorkel right from the island. while the kids were in the kiddies club my husband and I took a helicopter flight out to an island where they left us for 2 hours with champagne, and we snorkelled and it was magic. A lot of my friends have also raved about Phuket, and its not as many hours in the plane. just a few ideas. good luck.

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
30 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long Haul christmas suggestions

We're in the same boat, looking for a great place for Xmas

vacation. Not sure about Morocco, though, well Taniger. The rest of the country is beautiful.

Personally, we love Germany at Xmas with our kids. The Christmas markets are great, snow, and christmasy feeling.

Im not sure that i would recommend Day Dream Island (Hotel), unless you like coral beaches. The island is nice and they have a fun themed restaurant for the kids, plus there is an outdoor theater at night, but other than that and a few pools around the hotel, not much else for the kids.

You might also consider the SW of hte US, New Mexico/Arizona. Skiing in a number of places, Grand Canyon (no tourist, because is it is cold), Vegas is just down the road, taste of hte Southwest.

We did a Campervan drive around Tassie last year and our son still asks when we can go back. It took about 11/12 days to drive arond the island. We went up the east coast from Hobart, then from the NE we drove down the middle of hte island then back up and around to Lancetown. Pretty easy, lots of places to camp in the national parks, you can even light your fire if you desire.

dunedin, new zealand
Level Contributor
94 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long Haul christmas suggestions

Hi Leasemaster,

We spent a month in Sri Lanka a few years ago. We did stay in Ngombo but found it pretty boring. We moved instead to Hikkaduwa along the coast where we found a nice hotel on the beach where you could snorkel. There was quite a choice of restaurants and trips you could take from there.

Be aware that the coast of Sri Lanka was badly affected by the Tsunami, it's probably worth checking out what's still available anywhere you plan to go.

If you want to travel distance, what about Singapore ? We spent an enjoyable 10 days there in July, found lots to do which was child friendly (zoo, birdpark etc). Sentosa island was lots of fun.

Dunedinite

8. Re: Long Haul christmas suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 06:26