We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear long haul with 2 kids

Brisbane
Level Contributor
29 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
What to wear long haul with 2 kids

Flying from Brisbane to Paris via Malaysia for a quick stop and wondering what to actually wear on the plane (kids included). Want to be comfortable but am travelling between Summer and Winter also. What is the best way to go? Thanks

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear long haul with 2 kids

For kids, wear layers. Short sleeved shirt, long sleeved shirt that can easily be taken off or put on, and an outer layer for arrival. For men, one of two options. Either layers as above, with cargo pants for extra pockets when you do not have your jacket on, or dress up a step and wear or carry a blazer or sportcoat, again for extra pockets when you are in transit. The extra pockets allow you to keep passports and tickets on your person, which I am very careful to do. For men, and I realize it sounds corny, but the slacks, dress shirt, tie and sports coat actually does help sometimes to get better service while traveling. Others argue that is overkill, and while I go that route frequently, I also choose the cargo pants sometimes. For women, I can not offer much. When we travel my wife knows I have pockets so I carry the documents.

Airplanes on long flights can get rather cool, so I usually wear some type of long sleeved shirt. Airports are air conditioned as well, but not always cool, so being able to add or remove a layer helps.

While this may be paranoid, I try to wear cotton or wool and not manmade materials. If there is an emergency, I want to be wearing natural fibers.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,380 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear long haul with 2 kids

On a long haul flight with children... a change of clothes into fleecy pyjama's and socks. Beg, borrow or steal any extra pillows and blankets! Otherwise cotton layers. Man made fabric tend to make children overhot and itchy. If possible try to avoid clothes with elasticated waist bands as they can "dig in" and become uncomfortable when a child is turning in their sleep.

For adults... comfort is king, so for women, wear a bikini rather than bra/pants, pashmina/long sleeved kaftan and cotton/silk/linen mixes. For gents... layers again, and decant the contents of pockets into a flight bag.

Flying long haul can cause some people to experience swelling in their feet/ankles, so good socks and shoes that can be slipped on easily makes getting off the flight a bit more comfortable... so perhaps laced up shoes may not be a good idea.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,110 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear long haul with 2 kids

As a female who frequently travels long distances from one climate extreme to another, I too choose layers, however I wear active wear such as yoga pants/workout pants for instance, with a sleeveless or short sleeved cotton-spandex tee-shirt underneath a yoga jacket or hoodie/cardigan which can be removed and tied about the waist if it suddenly gets warm, eliminating carrying it/loosing it.............the clothing is generally a dark colour, so doesn't soil easily, is wrinkle proof, and packs and washes very easily....yoga pants can even be rolled up at the hem and turned into knee length pants, once again helping to keep you comfortable in a warmer climate, until you can get to your resort/hotel and change into attire more suited to the new climate..............I do not wear a bikini/bathing suit as underclothing....I find proper undergarments much more comfortable than swimwear.....

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,790 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to wear long haul with 2 kids

For the kids, go the trackie dacks onboard, and have jeans plus a fleece at the ready before they get off the plane in Europe. Aside from that, as everyone else has mentioned, layers is the key.

Edited: 19 November 2013, 19:39
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,110 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to wear long haul with 2 kids

KVE..............what are the "trackie dacks" you refer to in the previous post ?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,790 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to wear long haul with 2 kids

Hi Eden,

My apologies, it is Australian slang for tracksuit pants. Whilst it can technically be used for many types of tracksuit pants, it is more commonly referred to comfortable 'tracksuit' styled pants to wear around the house.

Edited: 20 November 2013, 04:31
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,048 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to wear long haul with 2 kids

How old are the kids? If they are still at the 'messy eater' and 'dribbler' stage or there is even the slightest possibility that they might be airsick, bring a change of clothes for them and a ziplock bag for the dirty ones. A small hand towel in another ziplock bag also comes in handy for unexpected accidents and to wash little faces. Track suit pants, loose tees, something with long sleeves and a sweater that can be rolled up and used as a pillow are all on my packing list. I also bring a change of underwear (and the first thing I do when I'm ready to settle is remove the bra altogether).

Although I use the socks the airlines provide, I always bring a pair of tiny fold up 'jiffy' slippers - those airline bathrooms can get a bit sus during a long flight.

And NEVER travel without an eyemask and earplugs if you want to get some sleep.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,110 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to wear long haul with 2 kids

KVE.....no apology needed, but thank you just the same............I enjoy learning new things, and I find TA a fairly good source in which to find out more about the world, and the /expressions/slang used in countries other than my own...so, I learned something new today!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,790 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to wear long haul with 2 kids

Hi Eden,

I do too, and it's one aspect I truly enjoy about TA.

Yes the good ole 'trackie dacks' is often seen as unfashionable and 'daggy', and something that nobody really admits in public, but everybody has a pair to wear around the house - and often to go down to the local shops for small groceries. It's more a suburban thing, and not commonly seen in downtown areas of the major cities. A bit of an Aussie institution.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,110 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to wear long haul with 2 kids

KVE......do they wear UGGS with their trackie dacks.....:)