We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12 months in Europe with 8 and 6 year old in a Motorhome

Sydney
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
12 months in Europe with 8 and 6 year old in a Motorhome

Hello everybody,

We are an Australian family and are very lucky to have the trip of a lifetime pending - we will be travelling throughout Europe in a motorhome from Jan-Dec 2014. We have the logistical stuff sorted (visas, motorhome rental, schooling, driver's licences, insurances etc) and a rough outline of a plan and expect to be visiting lots of countries including (in order of amount of time spent):

France

Germany

Spain/Portugal

Italy

Austria

Switzerland

Netherlands

Slovenia

Czech Republic

Hungary

Slovakia

We are considering Sweden & Denmark too.

Due to visa hassles, we are limited to visiting countries within the schengen area (it's complicated, don't ask!). So that rules out Turkey, UK, Morocco and a few others.

So, I guess my post is to ask if you know any of these destinations, can you suggest any 'must sees' from a kids point of view. And/or give any local advice, again in relation to the kids. We are an active, outdoorsy type family, keen to experience different experiences and cultures.

One specific query is that Sweden & Denmark are geographically quite a bit further north than the rest of our destinations so I'm not convinced we should push to include them (we don't want to rush). Again, from a kids angle, do you think it's worthwhile?

So I realise it's a very open question but if you happen to live/know somewhere where you think 'That would be a great spot for a family to visit/hang out', whether for a few hours or for a few weeks, then let me know. Chances are our route will take us not too far away!

Thank you so much in advance!

Dave

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 12 months in Europe with 8 and 6 year old in a Motorhome

Wow, fantastic trip! I certainly would recommend to add Denmark and Sweden. They are not that far away. You easily can put the whole of all the Schengen countries inside Australia so one year is more than enough. Of course in winter month I'd do southern Italy and Spain. Maybe also post this on the Road Trips forum for help:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_T…

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
26,584 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 12 months in Europe with 8 and 6 year old in a Motorhome

Agree with Tet's advice in previous post, and don't forget to drop by the Destination Forums here on TA for some specific advice..........good luck, an enjoy the adventure !

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,048 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 12 months in Europe with 8 and 6 year old in a Motorhome

You may need to revisit the information regarding Shengen agreements.

You are quite right that the UK, Turkey etc are not part of the Schengen treaty arrangements, but I think you will be limited to a total 90 day visit to the countries that are in the Schengen area.

You may be able to leave the Schengen countries and then return for another 90 days, but suggest you check this.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 12 months in Europe with 8 and 6 year old in a Motorhome

Wow ! This sounds awesome and exciting. Do include Scotland in your wishlist. Good luck !

Sydney
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 12 months in Europe with 8 and 6 year old in a Motorhome

Thank you everyone! I didn't know about the specific road trip forum, Tet, so will check that out.

Thanks mcpinder ... Spent many an hour working out the schengen thing so we are all ok.

Will be visiting the uk (inc possibly scotland) after the trip after we give the van back.

Thanks again

Dave

6. Re: 12 months in Europe with 8 and 6 year old in a Motorhome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2014, 05:18