We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

star rating

Halifax Region...
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
star rating

I'm searching for all inclusive resorts in the south. Should I only book four star and above? Am I being too cautious By not looking at three star ratings???

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,931 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: star rating

I would go less by the star rating and more by the detailed reviews and pictures posted by other travelers. Star rating is usually a sign of what amenities a resort has. A clean, well run three star could give you a better experience than an old dirty 4.5 star with rude management. But it is going to vary greatly by property. I'd ask the experts in particular destination forums about specific hotels you are considering,

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,234 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: star rating

Star Ratings varies by which official rating house a property is assessed.

Some focus predominantly on fascilities as mentioned above, whilst others is considerably more encompassing, and includes such things as consistency, quality of product and service, functionality, technology, decor, staffing, - on top of things such as amenities.

So it's entirely up to the individual, as to what 'minimum requirements' a guest is expecting, and how those requirements contribute to their experience.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,138 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: star rating

I would also add that it depends who and what provides the rating. On TA, for example, I use the * rating, as a general guideline, but far from the definitive, is there is no standard for ratings and *. If you look up hotels in Seattle, the #1 hotel rating is rarely the property locals or the Destination Experts would recommend, but becomes #1 because of a number of factors. It also depends on the kind of traveler you are and your travel experience and expectations.. For many, a 3* will be just the right combination of price, value, and comfort. For others, a 3* will be a dump.

Instead, I make my decisions from several sources based on ratings, reviews, travel guides and authors, travel agents, personal recommendations, etc.

4. Re: star rating

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2014, 05:18