We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Husband has dementia & is wheelchair bound. Need to relocate

Las Vegas, Nevada
2 posts
Save Topic
Husband has dementia & is wheelchair bound. Need to relocate

What is acceptable while travelling when it comes to assisting a disabled man to a restroom? ie; Wife takes husband to ladies room? or to men's room? Thank you.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Husband has dementia & is wheelchair bound. Need to relocate

Hi Rita C,

Welcome to TA. I am sorry to hear about your husband's condition. It's a tough situation. Know that many people have the similar issues. In general, we found people to be very kind, understanding and helpful. My father was physically disabled with Parkinson's and needed some help in restrooms, but cognitively was aware. I will try to provide the tips that worked for us, hopefully others will chime in too. Look up the airports or train stations or other public areas you will be using. Generally they will have an "Accessibility" or Assistance or Passenger Services page that provides information.

1. If at all possible have another family member or friend accompany you on your travels.

2. Some airports and public places provide "family restrooms". If a family restroom is available it is perfectly acceptable to use it together.

3. In places where a family restroom was not available, my parents would locate a staff member to go in and see if a restroom was clear - if so, then my parents would go in together, and the staff would guard the door until my parents were finished.

4. Limit liquids (if possible, without composing an individuals health) to reduce bathroom frequency when traveling.

5. Airplanes, as a rule, are very, very difficult. My parents could not both fit in the airplane restroom and the cramped quarters made it difficult for my dad to maneuver. And, I am sorry to say, flight attendants were absolutely no help. I realize the challenges of elderly people flying, and we are completely aware that flight attendants cannot assist passengers with such challenges, but if the flight attendants my parents encountered did anything but scowl it would be an improvement. My dad would wear Depends when flying to avoid the airplane bathroom - but that too has it's own set of issues.

6. Choose your travel times and connections wisely. In general, if you can travel on a low volume day and at a not busy time that always makes things easier.

7. Allow plenty of time. Traveling with an elderly or disabled person requires 2x or 3x the amount of time typically needed.

And lastly, if you are traveling by air, always ask for transport assistance. We found the airport staff who provided assistance, as a whole, very helpful. They often knew of under-utilized or out-of the way restrooms. It is often acceptable to tip these individuals.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,803 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Husband has dementia & is wheelchair bound. Need to relocate

All airports should have accessible restrooms in addition to the mens room and the ladies room. These generally have a wheelchair symbol on them. No need to use either the mens or ladies restrooms

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Husband has dementia & is wheelchair bound. Need to relocate

While airports will have accessible restrooms, unfortunately, it varies by airport, you cannot always count on accessible family restrooms being in a particular terminal or near a gate.

Las Vegas, Nevada
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Husband has dementia & is wheelchair bound. Need to relocate

Thank you very much for your informative response. I greatly appreciate your time & will consider all.

5. Re: Husband has dementia & is wheelchair bound. Need to relocate

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2015, 06:18
Get answers to your questions