We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for European travel with kids

Boston...
Level Contributor
87 posts
335 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for European travel with kids

Hello- we are thinking about a trip to Europe Summer 2014 but hesitant because of my kids diverse interests. My 11 y.o. son isn't the adventurous type, but my 13 y.o. daughter is. Probably a mix of some laid back time and some adventure is best bet for us. Wondering what others recommend for a 10-12 day trip for this age group?

I'm a little worried my kids are too young to appreciate the natural beauty and history, so curious if other travelers have had success with kids these ages. I know 10-12 days isn't much time, and so we probably need to limit our travel to only a few destinations. What would be best spot(s) for kids these ages? They have never traveled to Europe, but have traveled a lot in the US. My wife and I have been to parts of Italy, Switzerland, Austria and England and loved it everywhere!!

Thanks very much!

Dordrecht, The...
Level Contributor
477 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for European travel with kids

Every kid is different, but your children seem to be old enough to appreciate natural beauty and history. Of course, they're unlikely to enjoy that in a stuffy old museum, but that's only natural. You'll make the best possible choice when you flat out ask them to pick one thing (or make a list of things) they want to do on the trip. Do something that each of you will enjoy and the holiday will be better for it. (* Your mileage may vary, but it worked for my family when I was a kid).

Why not head over to Greece or the Canary Islands? Sun, beaches and pools galore. Greece has the added bonus of a fascinating old civilization that plenty of kids find interesting. If not, then returning to Rome , eating ice cream, visiting the gladiator school, the Colosseum and some other impressive sights might be something the kids enjoy.

And if you want me to offer a potential destination that doesn't get enough attention, why not try Sweden and the rest of Scandinavia? Stunning nature, and plenty of sports for the active one while your other kid can enjoy the wildlife or the scenic view.

Level Contributor
2,858 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for European travel with kids

Hard to say what is the best spot for your children. Europe is a large place. If you narrow down your options you might want to look at the forums for each city/country and search for info about tweens/teens? Look at trip reports to get an idea of what other families have done?

My kids were 10 & 14 when we first went to Paris. They both loved it. They went to 12 museums in 10 days and to Disneyland Paris. Now 12 & 16 we just got back from a Thanksgivng trip to London. Our trips have only been for 9 or 11 days each so we stayed in only one city. We were able to fly direct which is great with kids and got to really know each city.

Enjoy your trip!

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
13,123 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for European travel with kids

As other posters have said, Europe is so vast and varied, you are spoilt for choices. With only 10 days though, it makes sense to limit yourself to possibly one or two destinations which in themselves have good transport links and plenty to do.

One consideration is to base yourself in London and use the Eurostar to get to Paris... or beyond!

London is one of the greenest cities in Europe, so you are never far from a huge park, which have plenty of activities or just a good big space to let off steam. Regents Park has a world famous zoo, while Hyde Park has a lake for hiring boats. All the main museums are free to enter (saving you a small fortune) and have plenty of hands on exhibits for children. The Natural History and Science Museums are more or less next to each other and are real family favourites. Good day trips from London include Canterbury, Oxford and the south coast and east coast beach towns.

Paris is smaller but again, excellent parks, river boat trips, iconic world museums with dedicated "child friendly" exhibits. Paris has an excellent train network for getting out of the city and taking day trips, of which Versailles is highly recommended.

If you wanted to go to a completely different European city, I'd suggest Prague. It's a much smaller city than either London or Paris, but again is on a river, very walkable, excellent food, and has very good transport links to get you to either Budapest, or the surrounding countryside.

There are many other cities and regions to recommend, including Venice. But as your children have such different tastes, perhaps it's worth asking them to make up a list of things they'd like to see or do, and then seeing if their "must do's" can be easily planned into your trip.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
28,131 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for European travel with kids

My fellow TA's have given you some great advice, so I'll just add to the idea of having your children get involved in the decision making process......I suggest going to your local library and borrowing a few guide books on some European cities/countries....i.e., Italy, France, England, Spain, Germany, The Netherlands or whatever catches your eye..........browse through the guides(which will include suggested itineraries) to see what/where might interest you/them......and then begin to plan accordingly by using the TripAdvisor sight for more specific information.....if your children are involved, they will become excited by the prospect of travel

Boston...
Level Contributor
87 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for European travel with kids

Thanks very much for all the great advice!

I will get my kids more involved and see what they think. In general, my son will be more interested in outdoor activities, whereas my daughter will enjoy city life/museums/history or outdoor adventure. My daughter loves to experience new restaurants whereas my son could eat a grilled cheese for a week and be happy....

My daughter plans to go to Paris for her 16th birthday (we'll see!), so as much as we'd love to go there I want to keep that dream alive for her (she's a goal setter and is having fun planning and prepping for it with friends).

Thanks again!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
28,131 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for European travel with kids

You're welcome.........good luck with your choices, and have a great summer vacation....

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for European travel with kids

>>I'm a little worried my kids are too young to appreciate the natural beauty and history, so curious if other travelers have had success with kids these ages.<<

I think you've had so many great suggestions here, that there's not much to add. However, my 2 cents worth is that I think that showing kids the natural beauty and history when they're younger, means that they grow to appreciate it that much more as they get older...!

Have a Great Trip!

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
7 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for European travel with kids

Well, I think every teenager would like to see the Tour Eiffel, the Colosseum (they saw the movie The Gladiator) or a town where you go by ship instead than by car!

So: Paris, Venice and Rome, in whatever order.

Near Paris there is even Disneyland.

For a first trip to Europe, I think these towns are really the best choice for teenagers.

Then, well, Europe is so large and filled with interesting towns that it is difficult to select them.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for European travel with kids

Your kids are at a great age for travel to Europe! We took our kids at 3, 6, and 9 to London and had a fabulous time.

I always think London is a great intro to Europe for kids. There is obviously no language barrier, however it is different enough for kids to learn about a new culture/way of life. There are plenty of museums that should interest them. My personal favorite is the Museum of London however most children (mine included) favor The British Museum or Natural History Museum.

On our easy days we rode the double decker bus. It's a great way to see the top sights in a matter of hours. You can stay on and observe from the bus or get off at what interests you. We also had the boat cruise included in the price of our ticket. Cruising the Thames was a more relaxed and peaceful way to view the city--it was great to explore both ways.

London always has a plethora of fantastic parks. Although your children are probably beyond playing on the playgrounds, it's still a great area to relax and people-watch. We loved grabbing picnic supplies from the mini grocery stores, such as Marks & Spencer.

We visited Madame Tussauds and it's one of those places you should see but probably won't care to ever go back! Your kids will probably enjoy seeing a lot of recognizeable celebrities made out of wax!

Are your kids into Harry Potter? My oldest was 9 at the time we visited so a stop at King's Cross Station to see a replica of Station 9 3/4 was in order. There is a whole Harry Potter World of a sort in London now as well.

Castles are exciting for children (and adults!) of any age. Our personal favorite was Windsor Castle, which had a great audio tour. We also enjoyed Hampton Court Palace, which had a slightly more intimate feel. Changing of the Guards is a must-see for everyone visiting London as well!

If you have extra time, you could always take a train up north to Scotland, too.

Whatever you decide, enjoy! Europe is such a fabulous destination for children! :)

Edited: 17 January 2014, 14:07
10. Re: Suggestions for European travel with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2015, 05:18