We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How did your kids do?

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
752 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
How did your kids do?

Mine will be 6, 6, and 3.5 when we take our vaca…

So how did your kids do if you stayed at an AI for 7 days?

How did they do if you took a week vaca for disney world/land multi day park passes?

What I mean is for the AI did they get bored being at the resort for 7 days seeing the same thing day in and day out? How about for the parks did it take too much out of them going several different days during?

I am thinking about doing a week at an AI such as beaches or a family place in Mexico. If we don't do that I am thinking of doing something like cheaper hotel close to disney land hitting that for a day or two and hitting up sea world for a day or two...

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
752 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How did your kids do?

This section doesn't get much play is there another section instead?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,587 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How did your kids do?

My daughter loved every all-inclusive resort she was taken to as a child, and never got bored......and she always found other children to play with too...I believe kids are pretty easy to please when they're young with activities such as making sand castles on the beach, and floating on rafts at the pool.....there are always the kids clubs at the resort too.....she was almost 9 when we went to Disney, and she had no trouble keeping up with the walking, or activities whatsoever..

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
752 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How did your kids do?

Thanks for the post I almost gave up on this section. Nobody really posts here but in the other sections they move too fast to get seen I guess...

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How did your kids do?

We did an AI on the Riviera Maya for 8 days. I don't think the kids got bored, but I did after a while. If you do an AI, find one with a good children's program.

We've also done Disney. The key with Disney is to not try to do all the parks in one trip. We only did two of the parks on our last trip, and also broke up our park days with break days in between. Finally, the way you plan each day makes a difference. Arrive at parks at rope drop/opening. Tour until noon. The parks will hit peak temperature and peak capacity in the early afternoon. Use these early afternoon hours to return to your lodging and take a four hour break. Return around 5:00 for supper, parades and fireworks.

Have you considered a cruise? We've also done one of these. This might be the best of both worlds. You can relax on your at sea days and do shore excursions on your port days. Again, find one with a good children's program.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,587 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How did your kids do?

We broke up our time at Disney too......we were in Orlando for a couple of weeks, and had a car....we did a park one day, and then something else the next, then a park again , and so on ( went to WDW 6 times that trip)....we had some down time too relaxing by the hotel pool, and went to Cocoa Beach for a day trip..

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,995 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How did your kids do?

At the ages they are at, you kids will find travel a little strange and overwhelming. Of course, every child is different, but I had to be a bit careful with my kids, especially DS, to keep the pace manageable and not to introduce too many new things. Simply going to an AI for a week and staying around there is good for kids, IMO. A new environment and some travel, but not too much change day to day.

We did DL the first time when our kids were 5 & 7. I wouldn't have wanted to go any sooner. All the noise and the people...its a lot for a little one. I saw people there with tiny babies, which I really don't understand - locals maybe - but I do think kids can be too young for Disney. I'm not saying they don't enjoy it, but I don't think you get the most out of the experience. Pacing it with days outside the parks, just hanging around the hotel and the pool is a good balance.

I remember we went to San Deigo when my two were 2 & 4 (almost 3 and 4.5 really) and I got home and thought "What the hell was THAT!? I can stay home and chase my kids for free!" It was a good trip, and I enjoyed what we saw, but I significantly changed my approach to vacation planning after that trip until they were about 8 and 10.

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
752 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How did your kids do?

Thanks...

We did DW when 2 of them were 3 and even though they had a great time I dont think it completely set in on them. We did bibbity bobbity which was amazing along with rides and what not but really they were a bit lost if that makes any sense. Kinda funny we spent some $800 on that day alone but the best time they had was cocoa beach the next day just playing in the sand and water which was free...we the parents might have had more fun at DW lol...

IF we were to go the youngest would be just a bit older then the 2 big ones their first time. I am start I g to think I want the youngest to be at least 5+.

The AI is starting to to look like the best bet...

As for a cruise I will not take my family on one if it were free...thats just me regardless if millions had a perfect time...

Thanks

8. Re: How did your kids do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2015, 05:17