We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italy with an infant!!!

Portland, Oregon
7 posts
Save Topic
Italy with an infant!!!

Hi everyone, I am looking for some advice for an upcoming trip. My wife and I have a 2 week trip booked to Europe in July with our 7 month old daughter. We are visiting family in London but have dedicated 8 nights for Italy. We've spent some time in Rome and north (Tuscany, cinque terre, Venice) so we were hoping to explore either Sicily or in and near the Amalfi Coast. With an infant, we know it will be difficult to make too many stops so we were thinking of staying in only 1-2 places for the duration. I'm looking for any recommendations for the following:

- locations with an infant (Sicily vs. Amalfi as I think it might be too much to try both)

- transportation with an infant (based on some preliminary research, if we do Sicily I think we may need to rent a car, do we bring a carseat from the states? it seems ridiculous but maybe necessary... or if we do Amalfi, could we just do trains/bus?)

lodging (one idea was to rent an apt or small villa for the duration as a home base, or different small hotels)

- carrier (We have an Ergo so we're hoping to use that exclusively throughout our stops to avoid a stroller, but open to any suggestions from experience)

Thanks everyone for your time and suggestions!

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
13,441 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Italy with an infant!!!

Where in Sicily do you want to stay? There are ( I think ) at least 2 airports, at some distance from each other. So, picking a destination within Sicily will cut down on your travel times.

Amalfi.... beautiful coastal towns and the coastal route will require a car. Flights from the UK will be either Rome (and travel south) or Naples ( and travel north)

What to take..... July is going to be baking hot, so suggest a cheap, lightweight pushchair with a sun shade. You can buy these in the UK ( Mothercare has the best range). Suggest you post in the Rome/Naples/Sicily forums for car hire companies that provide infant car seats.

Accommodation.... hotels are likely to be expensive, but if you want to rent a property, www.airbnb.com is a good place to try.

Not on your list, but had you considered the Veneto region, north of Venice, or the Italian Lakes? Both in northern Italy, but just as beautiful, with direct flights from the UK, and (marginally) cooler than Amalfi/Sicily. Or...... Sorrento with Naples? Again direct flights from the UK, beautiful region, wonderful food and drink, and Pompeii/Hurculaneum easier to reach from Naples by a short train trip, while Sorrento has lovely family friendly hotels (with welcomed sea breezes!).

Portland, Oregon
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Italy with an infant!!!

Thanks for your response! I was thinking if we did do Sicily to stay out on the west side and fly in to Palermo or Trapani. There are a few smaller towns that looked appealing. Is western Sicily less crowded in July than the Amalfi coast may be?

Where in the Veneto region would you recommend?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
106,281 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Italy with an infant!!!

The Amalfi Coast is less than ideal with an infant, and it's never recommended to drive the Amalfi Coast, especially during peak season when it's best to navigate the coat by ferry.

Whether you were to hire a car in Sicily would depend on your destination(s), but you could easily find a base with convenient public transport where you wouldn't require a car.

You would be required to comply with rules throughout Italy for restraining children - CARRYING CHILDREN SAFELY:

aci.it/fileadmin/…Carrying.pdf

Siracusa and Cefalù are exceptionally family-friendly destinations.

Ancient Ortigia is Siracusa's historical centre, a lovely, flat, and charming island. It's a joy to wander its ancient alleys, and there are many good restaurants. You wouldn't require a car, and you could rent a flat for your entire stay.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187891-d104522…

Cefalù is a beach resort town with a compact historic centre, and a magnificent Norman Duomo. You could easily take the train to Palermo for day trips, but there are also many excursions that run from town.

tripadvisor.com/…55393938

You might also consider hiring a car for a day or two and exploring the nearby Madonie.

If you were to fly to Palermo or Trapani, you might then explore Western Sicily. Trapani is an ideal base, and San Vito Lo Capo is another family-friendly beach resort town.

Best wishes!

Vagabonda

Edited: 20 January 2014, 11:50
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
28,650 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Italy with an infant!!!

There are child car seat laws in Italy that you would be required to comply with.............your child will need to be in a rear facing rear seat car seat, approved for use in Europe.............you should check with the appropriate destination forum when you've decided where you're going to make sure what to do...they will guide you , and the previous post from one of the Destination Experts for Sicily has given you excellent advice.............

Portland, Oregon
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Italy with an infant!!!

Thanks all and Vagabonda - Cefalu sounds like a nice option! I'll look in to it further.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
106,281 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Italy with an infant!!!

Prego zonacats,

Cefalù is a nice option, enjoy....

staying in cefalu at the end of May:

tripadvisor.com/…31320860

Vagabonda

London, United...
Level Contributor
161 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Italy with an infant!!!

We did the Amalfi coast by train/boat with a 13 month old (non-walking) in July and had no problems. We used a carrier too although it got rather sweaty sometimes! We took a stroller for the evenings and were glad of the rest. This was a couple of summers ago so the details are hazy but it is doable and we enjoyed it.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
106,281 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Italy with an infant!!!

Perhaps you did the Amalfi Coast by bus and boat, because there is no train service along the Amalfi Coast with the exception of one town (Vietri sul Mare) near Salerno.

Many of the towns along the Amalfi Coast like Positano are vertical with many steps, so if you were to decide on the Amalfi Coast, perhaps consider some of the flatter towns like Amalfi (town) or Ravello.

tripadvisor.com/…55292717

Vagabonda

London, United...
Level Contributor
161 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Italy with an infant!!!

Apologies, I'm getting my areas confused. We took the train (Circumvesuviana) alongside the Gulf of Naples, Naples to Sorrento with stops along the way, then boat to Capri and boat along the Amalfi Coast. Some towns are indeed vertical but we were fine with the baby in the carrier. I strongly recommend learning how to use the carrier on your back if you do not already, much easier than the front when climbing stairs.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
106,281 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Italy with an infant!!!

Ah, yes, that makes sense - Thank you APMama!

July is really hot throughout Southern Italy and Sicily, and so it must have been sweaty with a carrier!

You visited many beautiful areas!

If flying to Naples, there's also direct SITA bus service from the airport to Salerno for access to the Amalfi Coast. Scroll down to Orari Campania.

http://www.sitasudtrasporti.it/#

If deciding on Cefalù, then Palermo is the preferred airport.

Buon viaggio!

Vagabonda