We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grandfather + grandsons travel

Gulf Breeze, Florida
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Grandfather + grandsons travel

My 76-year old father wants to travel on a major trip with my sons (ages 23 and 20). He is thinking Australia or Russia and wants a tour, but is concerned my sons might get bored if everyone on the tour is older. Is there a good way to do an intergenerational tour with grandparents and 20-something grandchildren?

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grandfather + grandsons travel

Idea #1 is skip the tour per se, and choose a couple of destinations. Join local tours on some days, and others day they can either travel independently, or even split up and each do their own thing for awhile and meet up later in the day. This could work well in Australia I think, maybe more difficult in Russia, maybe not.

It would also work well in Europe. You did not mention Turkey, but this plan would work there, and since we recently had a very nice trip to Turkey I thought I would include that. SE Asia is another destination to consider.

Idea #2 is a road trip. That allows ample time to be together, but also allows time for each person to do some of his own thing. Australia, South Africa, and Turkey all come to mind.

Idea #3 is a cruise. I have never done a cruise, but again it allows a good mix of time together while allowing each to do some things on their own.

I have never done a traditional bus tour. I have to admit, I would not be particularly excited about a traditional bus tour if I was in my early 20s. I am refering to the 2 weeks on a chartered bus type tour. There is something to be said for taling local tours in a foreign city. Even the younger adults could enjoy that.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,092 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grandfather + grandsons travel

I recommend you speak to a good local travel agent.......all Bus tours are Not the same.....it fully depends on the tour company, and the itinerary among other things......I thought much along the same lines as others that bus tours were only for seniors (not that there's anything wrong with that either) until I went on couple...now I know that's not the case at all.......there is a mix of ages, and travel styles....families with children, singles, older/younger/couples-a range................many people have or had the same misconception with regard to cruises...that they were full of seniors...once again not the case, just heresay based on outdated myths.......tours are a great idea for those who do not want to drive or worry about getting trains/planes/buses from A to B, and making sure they are at the train station in ample time to make their connection......tours are for those who do not want to cart their luggage back and forth, up and down cobble stone streets and up and down stairs, in and out of elevators.......tours are for those who don't like to waste vacation time and money getting lost/taking the wrong exit/running out of gas/getting a ticket because they parked in the wrong spot/walking a long way into the city centre because they could not park in the city, as happens in some European cities.......I could go on, but the point is to inquire with an open mind.....there are pros and cons to all methods of travel.....

Edited: 21 January 2014, 16:23
kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,374 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grandfather + grandsons travel

Russia... distances are vast, and you'll need to apply for visa's well in advance of your departure.

River and Baltic cruises are popular, provided by some very respected companies ( Royal Carribean, P & O, Viking River Cruises). I have no idea of costs though!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,092 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grandfather + grandsons travel

cookie0534.......if you're still checking in, I recommend you read another post currently on this forum for a first hand review of a Globus Bus Tour in Paris and London, by TA Member lbcohen3.....you'll see how pleased this family with two teens was with this bus tour experience.................the thread is entitled "Globus Journey Tours London-Paris"......I think it will be helpful to you

Edited: 22 January 2014, 15:07
Collingswood, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grandfather + grandsons travel

We just came back from a Globus tour to Italy with our 19 year old daughter, and we each had a great time. In addition, there were about 6 other young people from late teens to early 20s, two intergenerational families (a grandmother~ granddaughter and a grandmother~ mother~ daughters) as well as several middle aged~ still working people, and a few retirees. If you havent yet made plans, I'd recommend a Globus tour because it allows grandfather and grandsons to have others to talk to (too much togetherness can breed tension) and it takes away the need for navigating a foreign country or doing the heavy lifting of luggage.

6. Re: Grandfather + grandsons travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2014, 22:10
7. Re: Grandfather + grandsons travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2015, 05:15