We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

budget family european holiday

Kilkenny, Ireland
Level Contributor
9 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
budget family european holiday

Hi Folks, I'd be grateful for any tips. we are a family of 6, 4 teenagers. We love to holiday away from touristy beaches etc. We often rent houses and we like to wander around local culture villages towns and markets. we enjoy outdoor activities, hill walking, swimming, we like to eat and drink and be merry. We have little enough budget wise but are planning to go somewhere perhaps southern or central Europe but open to suggestions. What I'm looking for is some advice about where we might rent a house or apartment near or in a village/town where we can relax and ramble the surrounding areas. vague I know, we holidayed in Catalonia last year in a small finca out in the olive groves near a village, we have house swapped and few times in Germany and France etc. I'd be very grateful for any advice anyone might be able to give us. Thanks from chilly and wet Ireland.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,706 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: budget family european holiday

Welcome to the forums Hugh...........I suggest Italy........while there are a massive amount of towns/villages that would fit your criteria, posting on an appropriate Italian forum would be the best way to narrow down an actual place to stay....the region around Tuscany is a good bet for that type of accommodation, and further south, Orvieto is another town to consider.....

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,706 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: budget family european holiday

Another thought, considering the budget reference in the title of your post, is to ask this question on the Bargain Travel forum here on TripAdvisor as well......you might get suggestions there to answer to the budget component ........good luck with your choice...

Kilkenny, Ireland
Level Contributor
9 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: budget family european holiday

Thanks v much eden7, advice much appreciated. im a believer in tripadvisor but am new to forums as you can see. Hopefully I'll find somewhere, its pretty depressing in Ireland today, roll on summer and sunshine!

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
13,064 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: budget family european holiday

Hugh... I'd add the Dordogne region in France. So much to do, with lots of very good clear rivers for swimming, rafting and generally getting wet. Good for hiking and walking too. The rivers are quite shallow in the summer months, and marginally cooler than traditional beaches. And then there is all that that delicious French wine to sample!

Plenty of gites to rent, which should give you ample room, and the weather is consistently good in the summer months.

Kilkenny, Ireland
Level Contributor
9 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: budget family european holiday

Thanks for your suggestion Mcpinder, I'll look into that sounds like our kind of holiday place.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
13,064 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: budget family european holiday

Hugh... glad to help. The weather here is pretty wet and miserable too....roll on summer!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,706 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: budget family european holiday

You're most welcome Hugh............we're in the midst of a deep freeze here in North America....one of the coldest/snowiest winters in years......when the sun came out for awhile the other day, I almost didn't recognize it, so long it's been since I've seen it.........oh well, I just keep telling myself that shoveling snow is good exercise !

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
10,183 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: budget family european holiday

Well Hugh, I was gonna propose my country, Catalonia, but you've been there already last year.... I hope you had a great time.

Still, I bet you know -from your research last year- that Catalonia has quite a variety of different 'landscapes' so to speak, from golden beaches to high snowy peaks and everything in between. So... should you consider repeating destination but perhaps on a different location: www.catalunya.com for info and www.infocatalonia.eu for more visual 'suggestions'.... and if you need any assistance feel free to ask :))

Kilkenny, Ireland
Level Contributor
9 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: budget family european holiday

Hi Enric, many thanks for your message and suggestion. Yes we stayed there last year and loved it. We have found a house in the French alps near Grenoble so hopefully it will be as enjoyable as Catalunia was. Thanks again and we shall return!!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
10,183 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: budget family european holiday

That's a great destination too Hugh... great landscapes and good food! I'm going to try to visit Rhône-Alpes very soon myself too.