We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London, Paris and where else?.......with my family

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
16 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
London, Paris and where else?.......with my family

I will be traveling to Europe for two weeks this summer with my husband and three children ranging in ages from 17 to 7. We are flying into London and flying out of Paris two weeks later. We want to spend about 4 nights in London, 4 nights in Paris and then 4-5 nights in one other place. We feel that 3 locations would be enough moving around for the family without too much exhaustion for the kids. Can anyone suggest a place to base ourselves in for the middle few nights? Perhaps somewhere else in England, France, or maybe a different country - Switzerland? Holland? Italy? We would do London --xxxx--Paris----home. Thank you!!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,565 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London, Paris and where else?.......with my family

To minimize logistics, I personally would do London-Paris-XXXX rather than break London and Paris apart. With the use of EuroStar, it saves you the grief of having to deal with the airports at both ends, none of which really contributes to a holiday.

Id choose Rome.

bristol uk
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London, Paris and where else?.......with my family

I too would opt for Rome - wonderful city, living history and of course great pizza and pasta! Have a look at skyscanner plus the low cost carriers for flights. My other choice would be Edinburgh as there is a fast train line between these two cities.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,587 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London, Paris and where else?.......with my family

Rome is an excellent suggestion , IMO........try the website for The Man In Seat 61 for excellent information on train travel throughout Europe.....

www.seat61.com

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,937 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London, Paris and where else?.......with my family

If flying into London and out from Paris, I'd take the easy option of spending an extra night in each city and fitting in a short break to either Brussels or Amsterdam.

Reasons..... the day you arrive in London you will be completely jet lagged. Try though you might, that first night (or day!) your head will be swimming. And .... London has so much to see and do that you will want to be able to enjoy it. All the major museums are free, huge public parks for flopping down with ice cream or a boat ride, and within Europe offers the best range of family evening entertainment along the South Bank or the theatre's... which are cheaper than the USA.

Paris... a very easy trip on the Eurostar, and gets you directly from one city centre to another within 2 and a half hours. Another stunning family friendly city and as you'll have a short journey from London, you will be able to take advantage of Paris very quickly..... But..... you'll still need to factor in the time betwen arriving in Paris and finding your hotel, getting your bearings,unpacking, having a meal and then stepping out.

This is such a lovely city, it really deserves to be lingered over. A daytrip to Versailles will take about 5 to 6 hours, but is hughly recommended.

Which leads me to Amsterdam or Brussels. They are closer to Paris than Rome, can be easily reached by fast and frequent trains (so no long trips to airports, with immigration and security queues) and are excellent family desinations in their own rights. They are much smaller European cities, and are walkable, but still offer variery, sceney, history, good food and English is widely spoken in both cities. With short journey times, you could comfortably return to Paris by train to make good connections for your flight home.

One last thought... what do your children want to see and do? You have quite an age range to satisfy, and their suggestions could help you frame a trip that suits all of you.

iAnd just to stir the pot a bit....have you considered a short trip from London to Dublin, or Paris to Barcelona!!!!

Ojai
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: London, Paris and where else?.......with my family

Rome or Italy, we took our kids and they are wonderful!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
21,352 posts
1,840 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London, Paris and where else?.......with my family

I would look to Nice. You can easily travel by train from there to Monte Carlo, Cannes, even to Ventimiglia in Italy. Other alternatives would be Barcelona or Geneva.

South Pole
Level Contributor
51 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London, Paris and where else?.......with my family

I would not go as far as Italy. Too far, and too different from the other two locals....

I'd sticks with doing just the two cities and the areas around...you've got so much around both cities...Stonehenge, Windsor, bath, chartes, Versailles, etx, plus the area around Caen and bayoux I between the two.

If you still want to do another city, I'd stay closer and go to Amsterdam.

K30
Cornwall
Level Contributor
692 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London, Paris and where else?.......with my family

My favourite city in Europe (behind my native London) is Barcelona, Spain. Incredible architecture, food and weather. Rome is also fantastic. Really you cant go wrong with either.

Edit - resding the other posts yes perhaps it may be tired BUT if you arent planning another trip to Europe anytime soon then hey, I say make the most of it..

Edited: 19 February 2014, 08:39
Long Island NY
Level Contributor
793 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London, Paris and where else?.......with my family

Amsterdam!! We did London-Amsterdam-Paris in that order. BA has really cheep flights (citifare I think they call it) from London to Amsterdam. Then train from there.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London, Paris and where else?.......with my family

Another vote for Amsterdam. Perfectly located between London and Paris. But I'm biased.