We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation Ideas for Family w/ 6 & 8 yr old kids

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Vacation Ideas for Family w/ 6 & 8 yr old kids

My husband and I are looking to travel the end of June to early July for a max of 14-15 days. We love outdoor activities. The kids love the beach, fishing, kayaking, basically any physical activities. They love to learn as well. I thought about going to the Caribbean, but read that a lot of islands have mosquito issues. My son is a magnet when it comes to mosquitos and the bites swell up pretty bad. If you know of any islands that have a ton of activities, little rain fall and no mosquito issues, I would greatly appreciate any recommendations. We've already been to Oahu, Maui, St. Thomas, St. Johns, and Puerto Rico. Our budget is $4-5K.

Thanks in advance!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,367 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation Ideas for Family w/ 6 & 8 yr old kids

I'm a mosquito magnet too, and I firmly believe that where you are , more so than a particular destination, is to blame for why you'll find mosquitos around....they love damp shade, and breed in moist conditions, so stay away from heavy foliage in the shade, and boggy areas to start with....and definitely wear a bug repellant...I've also found that early morning/dawn and early evening/dusk are times when bugs are more prevalent....again, insect repellant works wonders..........

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation Ideas for Family w/ 6 & 8 yr old kids

For me, two weeks on an island would be too long. Staying within your budget, moving between islands will be difficult due to cost.

One option is a big island. Jamaica or the Dominican Republic come to mind. From my home (Charlotte, NC) the DR is going to be difficult most of the year due to flight costs. For a family of 4 that will be $2500-3000, not leaving much left over. Jamaica is usually a little cheaper. I do not know what the costs would be out of Washington.

Mexico, specifically flying in to Cancun, comes to mind. It is big enough to move around some. Again 2 weeks in Cancun is too much for me, but 1 week in Cancun and a week somewhere else becomes more interesting. Cancun is usually fairly reasonable for airfare and hotels. June/July may be the rainy season though.

As far as mosquitos, if you go somewhere warm be prepared to deal with mosquitos.

If you want to stay towards the low end of your budget, consider staying domestic. Driving to the Carolinas/Georgia/Florida will save alot of money. In the Carolinas you have coast and mountains. If you did not pay airfare, but did pay to drive, you could have a nice 2 week trip and maybe not even reach $4000.

By the time you pay for airfare and car rental or other forms of local transportation, especially to the Caribbean, you will likely be near or past $3000. While there are a range of hotels available, expecting to pay $100 per night or more is to be expected. That brings you into the low to mid $4000 range, without eating or paying for other activities. Mexico and Jamaica may be cheaper. Your kids will need passports for the non U.S. destinations.

Costa Rica is another good destination, but I think the rain deters many tourists during that time of year. Also, a cruise comes to mind. You might be able to find a 10 day cruise that would come out within your budget. Driving to Florida, taking a week long cruise, and then a few days spent vacationing on the way to and from the ship, may very well work.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vacation Ideas for Family w/ 6 & 8 yr old kids

Thank you for your response. I agree, 5 days on an island is good enough. I was thinking of too many places, such as Europe, when I posted this. I also agree with you on the mosquitos. I just don't want to deal with the Chikungunya fever.

Have you ever been to Marco Island, FL? If so, is it very similar to a lot of the Caribbean Islands in terms of beach style? White, soft sand and nice water? I am thinking of just driving down there to stay within my budget.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vacation Ideas for Family w/ 6 & 8 yr old kids

I have never been to Marco Island, but have heard good things about it. A driving trip to Florida sounds like a good choice to me. It will make your budget work. I like Florida as a vacation destination. There is lots to do, even if you do not go to Orlando. Depending on the route you choose going or coming, you can add in some other stops on the way. Having your own car will save money and allow alot of flexibility in what you do.

5. Re: Vacation Ideas for Family w/ 6 & 8 yr old kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2015, 06:17