We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

East Coast USA, Canada or Somewhere Else - Self Drive

York
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
East Coast USA, Canada or Somewhere Else - Self Drive

We are looking to book a self drive tour for 2 weeks in September / October of this year with a 3 and 1 year old.

The ideas we have so far are as follows:

1. Boston, Portland, White Mountains, Green Mountains, Connecticut River Valley and Cape Code

2. Toronto, Montreal, Quebec, Ottawa, Midland and Niagara

or

3. Calgary, Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper, Clearwater, Tyax, Whistler, Vancouver Island, Vancouver

We've not been to any of these places before and we are open to suggestions. We like being outdoors and looking at wildlife. Also like historical sites, museums, eating out etc.

We have two weeks to do this trip. Are any good options, are we trying to do too much etc?

Thanks

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,546 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: East Coast USA, Canada or Somewhere Else - Self Drive

I haven't been to the eastern US and Canada yet - on my bucket list! I have been in the other locales other than Vancouver/Vancouver island - beautiful areas. However, unless your children are very unusual, most toddlers I know don't care to be in the car all day . . . my kids grew up spending long sessions in the car and did well on driving vacations .. .but would prefer to be outside running around. Perhaps instead of driving everywhere, maybe pick 2 different locations in one of these areas, and spend a 1 week in each with the drive in between - then you would see new scenery, but not be driving every few days trying to cover lots of ground. I think I would pick the eastern US in September/October because that would be a wonderful time to see the fall colors. The rockies will already have snow then . . . and a few areas might be closed then. Good luck! :)

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: East Coast USA, Canada or Somewhere Else - Self Drive

All 3 will work. I like western Canada the best. The distances involved will ussually be 2-4 hour drives, with the opportunity to get out of the car to see and do things along the way. I like cities, but the three year old will probably like the Canadian national parks. For the record, I like national parks as well, and Banff, Jasper, and the neighboring parks in BC are great. Those parks offer alot. They are well suited for short hikes, even when pushing a stroller or with the younger one in a backpack type carrier. They have alot of trails that are not very long and are mageable for the older child. Most kids are excited by wildlife, and you should get to see plenty in western Canada.

The other 2 ideas are good, I like western Canada better.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: East Coast USA, Canada or Somewhere Else - Self Drive

If you chose western Canada, I suggest September. Winter will be on its way, but not actually there yet in September. In October, you will probably encounter more winter weather. The last time I was in Banff and Jasper was in September. We did have snow one night, but it warmed up that day. You will need to be prepared for cold nights, but it is unlikely to be hardcore winter with deep snow and bitter cold.

For any of your destinations, I would prefer September. New England in October will also have cold nights, and a possibility of winter weather. It is unlikely to be so bad as to disrupt your trip.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,393 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: East Coast USA, Canada or Somewhere Else - Self Drive

Hi kate...............................a 2 week plan is ideal for a visit to Toronto, Niagara Falls, Ottawa, Montreal and Quebec City, and September into October will get you lovely weather, and an opportunity to view the brilliant colours associated with the turning of the leaves at that time of year....Historical sites. Museums, Art Galleries fascinating architecture, and excellent dining opportunities are abundant, and most represented in this part of Canada as well......did you know that Toronto is Canada's largest city, and the 4th largest city in North America, behind Mexico City, New York and Los Angeles, and that Ottawa is our Capital city?.......start in Toronto, and visit Niagara Falls as either a day trip, or an overnight, and then work your way to Ottawa, Montreal and then Quebec City...you won't need a car in Toronto...its a very walkable city with an excellent public transit system....you can reach Niagara Falls by renting/hiring a car for the day, or taking a day tour from Toronto, which is quite popular....Ottawa, Montreal and Quebec City, especially the Old Town are also very walkable.........as pointed out in post #1, it's beginning to get a little cold for Alberta/the Rockies/Lake Louise at that time of year.....October in Cape Cod is also not the most ideal time for a visit............I can expand if you decide on the Toronto/Niagara/Ottawa idea...............

York
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: East Coast USA, Canada or Somewhere Else - Self Drive

thank you all so much for your comments i'll do a bit more research on those locations, very excited already

6. Re: East Coast USA, Canada or Somewhere Else - Self Drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2015, 05:21