We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Double Jogging Stroller in Europe and more?

Arizona
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Double Jogging Stroller in Europe and more?

I am traveling to several places this summer over 5 weeks with my husband and 3 children (ages 5 1/2, 4, and 18 months at time of travel). We will be staying with family in Sweden for almost 2 weeks before spending 5 days in Paris. Then to see a few cousins stationed in Germany (near Kaiserslautern). Then we will wander over to germany and environs. Probably see some of Switzerland and Austria just across the border (a few days each) then fly home from Munich via London for 4 days... (I am totally loco, I know).

I'd love any tips or "must see" places you may have experienced in these areas. Suggestions for affordable family friendly places to stay would be excellent as well.

We plan on a lot of children centered museums, outdoor experiences and parks. Mainly decided if we are going to mess with their time zones this big and spend the cash to fly there, we may as well make it worth my time! I am also wondering if a double jogging stroller would be ridiculous to lug around the places I mentioned? My older 2 can keep up on walks, but will tire quickly of so much sightseeing. All 3 can fit into it and if they are sitting they will be more "contained" in congested areas. I own a Bob Revolution Dualie (suspension, big tires and very sturdy for bumpy roads and paths) that folds up pretty easily for getting on a train, etc. (about the size of a large suitcase, a little wider) Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,893 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Double Jogging Stroller in Europe and more?

Hi,

Just in regards to a stroller for use in Europe, there has been a number of threads about it, so if you type in 'pram Europe' in the search box above, you'll find numerous threads about it. Here is an example - tripadvisor.com.au/…51504589

I have never taken a double pram/stroller, but I have previously taken a bulky single stroller, and I would never do it again. The factors involved in even a few city stay is difficult enough (not just packing/carting it around for trains, it's also getting to and from the station/airport, luggage space, the logistics of one half juggling the kids whilst the other half moves all the luggage etc), and with the number of cities you are visiting, it's handling is going to multiply enormously. That's just moving from city to city, and not include local trains/buses/trams.

My suggestion as previously mentioned in the above thread, is to buy and take the lightest foldable pram/stroller, that is primarily focused on ease of use and transport, and something you won't bat an eye lid, should it get damaged or broken. My wife can attest to that first hand, when her beloved Bugaboo was scratched, dented and bent after our first ever trio as a family. We have done six trips to Europe from Australia in the last 18mths for my work, and used a compact, one clip collapsible pram, which came with it's own bag, and was light enough and small enough to carry like an oversized handbag over one shoulder. On our most recent trip in December, we ended up with slightly more luggage than we wanted, so we simply donated it to the last hotel we stayed at.

You mentioned trains as a method of transport between cities, and it think it's a great idea. I've done several legs throughout Europe and found them not only efficient and child friendly, but a wonderful experience for the kids. Deutsch Bahn in particular is outstanding when it comes to catering for the kids, with inclusions such as Family Cabins, which can be booked for free, and the driver observation deck on some of the ICE services. If you purchase your tickets online in advance (90 days), you can get amazing discounts, and whilst there's not too much difference between First and Second class, the First Class travel onboard the ICE services includes an executive lounge at the major stations. Comfortable, safe, complimentary food and beverage, but most importantly, a place with clean infant/mothers facilities. So that maybe worth considering on the German leg of your journey.

Be sure to post some questions on the Train Travel forum, as the folks there are extremely knowledgable with train travel details. I'm sure you can pickup some wonderful information.

Arizona
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Double Jogging Stroller in Europe and more?

Thank you for your suggestion. I hadn't thought of typing the word "pram" for the search. Thank you for the link and the helpful guidance on train travel.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
38,202 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Double Jogging Stroller in Europe and more?

Your children are too old for a pram...type in/search for pushchair

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Double Jogging Stroller in Europe and more?

ArizonaLaVidaLoca,

Regarding the double jogging stroller: I had three little boys all under four, and the two little ones were just 15 months apart, and we traveled extensively. I never traveled with my double stroller (in fact I found it far too cumbersome in general, I even stopped using it at home). Instead I traveled with a sturdy umbrella type stroller (MacClaren) that could fit in the airplane overhead, a baby or child could sleep in if need be; then a second "cheapie" ($20) umbrella stroller. Worked fabulously. Sometimes we used a backpack carrier for one of the kids. We could go just about anywhere, the strollers were lightweight enough and easy to collapse that if we needed to climb stairs, we could collapse the strollers and carry the kids. I never worried about either getting lost, damaged or stolen because we didn't have that much invested in them - but they were lifesavers, particularly when we were rushing through airports, train stations or crowded areas.

And my "cheapie" stroller just keep going and going - best $20 I ever spent!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
28,131 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Double Jogging Stroller in Europe and more?

Here is yet another "vote" for an umbrella stroller..........this is what we used for travel when our daughter was younger, and as previously stated they're very inexpensive and easy to transport, but still do the job...as a matter of fact, even though it wasn't as nice looking as my regular stroller, I rarely used the bigger stroller, even at home, because it was so cumbersome and such a pain to fold and put away in the trunk of my car....IslandGirl is right on...it was the best $20.00 I ever spent too!

6. Re: Double Jogging Stroller in Europe and more?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2015, 04:28