We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cambodia and South Vietnam

St Kilda
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Cambodia and South Vietnam

We are a family of 2 adults and one child aged 6. We would like to travel to South Vietnam and Cambodia in December/January this year. We have been looking at tours but not many seem to cover a 6 year old. We plan to see most of the cultural sites and would like to spend time in a few different locations. We are thinking of a tour for around 20 days and then We would also like to spend a week at a beach resort at the end of our time. Any suggestions on tour companies? Resorts? We are happy to self drive as well as we have driven a lot overseas. Cheers Tim

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,140 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cambodia and South Vietnam

Hi Tim

Our family spent a similar amount of time in Cambodia & Vietnam this January. We used a company called travel Indochina, they organised a tailor made holiday for the 4 of us including flights, hotels, airport transfers & day tours. We were very happy with them www.travelindochina.com.au/tailor-made.

You could organise it all yourself & use agents in Cambodia & Vietnam - I would suggest having a look at the country forums

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowForum-g293939-i9162-C…

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowForum-g293921-i8432-V…

Unless you are experienced in driving in Asia I would advise against driving yourself - the roads in Vietnam particularly are absolutely crazy!

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,952 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cambodia and South Vietnam

In the UK you could get Trailfinders to put a family package together for you, or look at the family tours from Kuoni. Both have good reputations, and are ABTA/ATOL/AITO bonded.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,843 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cambodia and South Vietnam

Self-drive in Cambodia has the additional challenge that the country does not recognize the International Driving Permit. If you want to drive legally so that your insurance is valid, you need to get a Cambodian driver license.

Hiring a driver together with a car is not a large additional expense and will let everybody in the family concentrate on enjoying the sights.

St Kilda
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cambodia and South Vietnam

HI

Thanks for this. I sent out a tour brief to a few agents and the one that has come back with the best arrangements is traveindochina! Good to know that you used the same company and had a good result. We are going to work with them and see what they come up with. Do you have your itinerary that Travel Indochina set up for you? Would you be happy to share that with us so we get an idea about where you went and what you thought was good? Cheers Tim

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,140 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cambodia and South Vietnam

Hi Tim

If you click on my user name & then go to reviews you will see all the hotels we stayed & some of the restaurants.

We flew into Siem Reap (via Sing), then to Phnom Penh, Ho chi Min, Hoi An, Hanoi, Halong Bay back to Hanoi before flying home with a couple of nights on Singapore on the way. Travel between each destination was by plane except for Halong Bay which was a 3 hour bus ride each way. Our highlights were Siem Reap, Hoi An & Halong Bay.

I gave Travel Indochina a list of things we wanted to see/do at each & they suggested a few others & arranged day tours accordingly. At Hoi An we just did our own thing. I found looking at their itineraries for their group tours gave me some ideas as well as looking at the TA forums.

Hoi An, Vietnam
Level Contributor
46 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cambodia and South Vietnam

oh yah,

7. Re: Cambodia and South Vietnam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2015, 04:23