We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on Africa/Asia trip

Champaign-Urbana...
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on Africa/Asia trip

Hi all!

My husband and I plan to take a RTW trip for about a month or so between May-June. In many ways he is like a big child, so I thought family travel advice would be perfect!

Since we're novice travelers, we're looking for input on where we plan to go. We're planning to fly from New York and visit (in some order) Australia, New Zealand, China (with possible trip to Tibet from there), and either Tanzania, Kenya, or South Africa. Is this a workable itinerary for a month? Should we add more in, or take some out? Any great Asian countries we've left out? (We're not big beach people). Is there a particular order that makes the most sense time- and cost-wise? Silly mistakes we haven't thought of yet?

Thanks so much for the help!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on Africa/Asia trip

South Africa is probably easier to visit as an independent traveler. The roads are good for the most part, and renting a car and driving yourself is pretty easy. You do not per se need a RTW ticket. In the past I have seen some airlines offer regional tickets that were cheaper than RTW. Also, pricing the itinerary using the multi city function of the airline or internet booking sights might give you a cheaper fare, and it might not.

For a one month trip, you are doing alot. If this was my trip, I would cut out at least one, probably 2, and maybe 3 of the detinations you mentioned. For example a 1 month trip to Asia instead of the 4 you mentioned. With the 4 destinations you will be spending alot of time in airports and on airplanes.

If this was my trip, I would choose Asia alone. If you really want the second destination, add in Australia or New Zealand. You could also make a nice trip to Australia and New Zealand and drop the rest. South AFrica is my favorite foreign destination, and you could spend 4 weeks just in South Africa or southern Africa.

Asia offers alot of variety. There are some real differences between the individual countries, and even between regions in the same country. China alone could be good for a few weeks, Add in Japan, Korea, Thailand, Indonesia, or any of a couple of others would take up a month. You would not be able to do all there is to do in east and southeast Asia in a month.

Mumbai...
Level Contributor
17 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on Africa/Asia trip

I am in complete agreement with jnhdrac. There are different ways of travel. For us, I've found it is always better to relax get into the local feel and avoid the overly touristy way of speed travel. A month is a great amount of time to discover but try and not spread yourself thin. We are currently planning a 5-6 weeks trip home from India to US through China with a stop in Japan. I can only speak for South Africa on your list. After nearly 12 years on my list we went in August of 2012 and were not disappointed. It is a fantastic destination with ease of travel and unbelievable things to do- safari, wine tours, table top mountain by cable car, kayaking, beaches, great restaurants... the list goes on. For Asia we love Thailand, Vietnam and of course India (but that's a different ball of wax best savored last- it's a different animal)

Good Luck and safe travels...

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on Africa/Asia trip

I also agree with the previous posters. You're packing way too much. Austraila has the size of the USA wihout Alaska. You easily can spend all your time in places like Australia, or New Zealnd (it's pretty cold out there may-june) and South Africa.

4. Re: Advice on Africa/Asia trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2015, 05:16