We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinery help needed for 6 weeks in SE asia June/July 14

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Itinery help needed for 6 weeks in SE asia June/July 14

Hi,

(please excuse my bad place/name spelling)

Any help would be so appreciated. Ive been scouring the internet for months now & Im starting to go round in circles ..... we need to start booking internal flights ... so ive realised I need HELP.

We are a family of 5 - our 3 kids will be 7,5 & 19months baby. The older 2 are well travelled & pretty easy going .... baby ... not so much !

1- We land in KL late in day on 22nd June - So I'm thinking we stay there for 6 nights ? Time to adjust to heat/time diff etc.... & see sights without stressing the kids. (we will stay hotel with good kids pool .... Le Meridian?) We've never been to KL .... Is this Too Long to stay there ?

2 - Where to next ? Do we risk the weather in Puket at start of July ? We can get a wondeful deal at Kathatani for 7 nights .... looks good for the kids ? Again we've never been to Puket .... is this too long ? Are we silly risking the monsoon rain ??

I really wanted to go to Koh Lipe as well ...... but again the weather ? and sounds harder to get there at this time of year ....

3- Other places we want to go in the 6 weeks are - Koh Samui, Koh Tao, Koh Phagn nan - Would about 10 nights be suffice to do all 3 of these ? Fly into Suit thani & ferry between each ?

Borneo is a must - but we are limited in what we can do there because of baby ??? - So how long there ? 4 nights ??

Do we try and do Bangkok ? just for a few nights ? I Love Bangkok ..... bit I know with the 3 little people it won't be as easy.

I want to take them the Perehntian islands and maybe Tioman islands ..... Maybe just one of these ?

Singapore - stay on sentosa for 4/5 nights ? do a few tourist things there and look round Singapore - We will also have to fit in 2 nights at Legoland Malaysia.

We need to be back in KL on 30th to fly out of 1st August .... again give them a day in KL to chill before we fly back to NZ via Australia.

...... Any advice ? Do we NOT do the Puket side at all (so no Koh Lipe or Puket? we'd already discounted Langkawi ?)

Do we go to Bagkok - or not just due to the kids ...... ?

Thanks so much in advance :)

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinery help needed for 6 weeks in SE asia June/July 14

I am a fan of Bangkok, so I have to say it is worth it. The older 2 will find interesting things in Bangkok, and the younger one will not really know where he is anyway. My son enjoys Banagkok.

As far as Singapore, my impression is Sentosa is not where I would choose to stay. It is worth visiting, but my feeling was it was worth a day trip, not 4/5 nights. The zoo in Singapore is great. There are other things to do, but for me Singapore as a tourist is worth 4 days max, probably 3.

Also, I would trim out some time in KL. I have never been to KL, but I do not see it worth 6 days. Of the three cities you mentioned, Bangkok is the most interesting to me. Singapore is efficient, modern, and a great place to visit. KL to my understanding is also a pretty modern city, with enough to do to make a visit worthwhile, but I am not sold on 6 days. Bangkok is far more diverse and interesting in my opinion. There is some ongoing political unrest, but this is fairly easily avoided and Bangkok still sees plenty of tourists.

Never been to Borneo but I am intrigued by that part of your trip.

Chiang Mai could easily be added to your trip for 3-4 days. Alot of your trip will be spent on the coast, so an additional inland/mountain destination, such as Chiang Mai, may be something to consider.

My experience traveling in SE Asia is with one child. Three gets more interesting, but I do not think that makes Bangkok undoable.

2. Re: Itinery help needed for 6 weeks in SE asia June/July 14

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2015, 04:50