We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Month in Europe as a single mum.

Halifax, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Month in Europe as a single mum.

Hi all, I am hoping to spend a month with my son in Europe next September. He will be almost six. There will just be the two of us and I'd love to hear anything that you think will help.

I am going to do lots of planning as its our first time and a little bit of a test to see whether we could hack the nomadic lifestyle. But I do want to experience some things as they happen, if that makes sense so my itinerary will be somewhat amendable!

Please help, eager to start putting the wheels in motion :)

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,324 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Month in Europe as a single mum.

You need to provide more background information if you want any useful advice.

What is your preferred mode of accommodation - camping in your own tent, a motor home, bed & breakfasts, five star hotels?

Which type of transportation is suitable? Can you drive a car, i.e. would you be touring in your own vehicle or would hiring a car in each country be suitable? Does your budget permit flying at all, or are you limited to coaches and trains? September is still far enough for you to be able to buy cheap advance tickets. For example, many train operators will start selling the cheapest tickets only 90-120 days in advance.

What is your budget, i.e. are you looking for advice on the cheapest ways of doing the trip or do you want to know what are the best possible experiences that money can buy?

Do you care about the weather? Scandinavia will not be at its best in September especially if you like a nice warm beach.

How well do you deal with other languages than English? You will have more opportunities and a better experience if you can somewhat speak the local language (French, Italian, German, Spanish, etc.).

Do you already know how you will access your money? Carrying all of your budget with you as cash is rather dangerous. However, the alternatives are not created equal depending on where you go.

Does your son already have a passport, since it will be needed?

Getting a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) can save you a lot with immediate payments of medical expenses. However, it does not replace a good travel insurance policy. For example, EHIC does not cover the cost of repatriation in case of illness and that can be very expensive with a condition that prevents you from flying standard economy class on your own.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,172 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Month in Europe as a single mum.

I'd also add.. how well does your son travel now? Does he suffer from motion sickness? Does he cope well with long distance travel and does he enjoy frequent change and different foods? I only ask as some children love travel, while others prefer a set routineand familiarity. This may influence how long you stay in any one place and whether or not self catering accommodation would suits you both well.

3. Re: Month in Europe as a single mum.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2015, 05:16