We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gap Year Break with 2 Children (2 and 7) - advice?

Great Yarmouth...
Level Contributor
803 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Gap Year Break with 2 Children (2 and 7) - advice?

Morning All

Ive had a roller coaster of a year so far, more dips than i really care for and its made me want more from life. I travelled as a 20 something and have seen some beautiful things and recent events has made me want to relive those good times and make memories for my children.

I can plan the travel no problem, but wondered if anyone has any experience, knowledge, tips or hints as what i need to remember to plan for. I would look to travel for anywhere between 3-12 months so tips on schooling, renting your house out and anything else you could think of i would really appreciate it.

regards

Jimbo

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,706 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gap Year Break with 2 Children (2 and 7) - advice?

Hi Jimbo............

Have you considered "Home schooling" your 7 year old?......you could check with your school board to see how to/what theyd recommend and this would allow you flexibility with your plans....lve no experience renting my home out so cant help there....

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
13,064 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gap Year Break with 2 Children (2 and 7) - advice?

Jimbo, before renting your house out, I'd urge you to talk to a housing solicitor, or a reputable residential letting agent, as you could be entering a legal and financial minefield. .

If you have a mortgage, you must inform your lender that you are not resident, and be prepared to pay a higher commercial interest rate. You'll also need to inform your insurance company that you are not resident in the property, and they'll charge you for commercial buildings insurance. Your contents insurance will become void. And I don't wish to add to your woes, but if you are relying on the rental income to fund your travels, then you'd be prudent to budget for non payment of the rent by the potential tenant, plus the costs of possession and eviction legal proceedings.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gap Year Break with 2 Children (2 and 7) - advice?

Depending on the laws where you live, homeschooling may, or may not, be the answer. Homeschooling laws vary, and it is important to research the laws that would be applicable to you. If you moved pretty much continuously, only saying a few days before moving on, I believe you will have less of a problem. If you stayed for some time in a location, you would likely fall under the compulsory education laws of that jurisdiction. You may claim home is X, but the local authorities may believe that home is now Y because you have stayed there for a certain number of days.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,325 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gap Year Break with 2 Children (2 and 7) - advice?

Good for you for making the most of your life! Carpe Diem!

Rather than renting out your house (although you certainly could) perhaps you might investigate the house swap concept. I know a couple of people who have used this with terrific success. This would allow you to arrange several swaps over the course of your travels and move from place to place. If you do decide to rent your house, it is a good idea to talk with your insurance broker as to what that would mean for you legally. Might also be a good idea to talk to a property management company. While they would take a cut of the profits, they would also take care of any problems.

You might also contact something like the Faculty Association at a local University. Professors do this sort of thing all the time when they are sabbatical, so they must have some resources and some tips.

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Gap Year Break with 2 Children (2 and 7) - advice?

We are currently traveling the world at the moment with our three daughters. 10, 8, 6. We are from The north shore in Auckland New Zealand. Started in Feb 2017 and been traveling for 7 months with a few more to go. What I can tell you is it's been the most amazing experience for us. The girls have learnt so much about the world and we have grown as a family. We have been fortunate enought to have the support of the New Zealand ministry of education. When we told them out idea they encouraged taking our kids out of school for a year and homeschooling them. They said the kids that have done similar have gained through the experience. My wife schools the kids In the mornings. She has never taught before so had to learn a few things however it's not that hard. I take photos of the work completed and load it to a Dropbox. I then email it to the ministry in New Zealand who mark the kids work and send us back regular reports.

We have completed 25 countries to date (Asia, Europe and heading over to the USA at the end of the month) Asia we did thialland, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia and Singapore. Europe we hired a car through euro lease (best decision ever). We covered most of Europe 12000km in 3 months. Then over to Greece and now in Turkey.

I am fortunate enough to manage my business online. We rent out our house in New Zealand. If you would like to ask me any thing I am happy to help. Message me on Instagram CRAIGBARNZ. You will also be able to see photos of our travels.

Of you have the chance go for it !! Kids will love you for it. You will talk about it for the rest of your lives.

Craig B

6. Re: Gap Year Break with 2 Children (2 and 7) - advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2015, 05:15