We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

50th anniversary trip

Level Contributor
193 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
50th anniversary trip

For our 50th we would like to take all our kids and grand kids on an adventure to a warmer climate. Would a cruise or an all inclusive vacation be more reasonable price wise. Want to go in June 2015 there would be 6 grand kids: 9'12' 17, 18',20' and 21. All have traveled before and are easy travelers.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 50th anniversary trip

Hi

That's broad question. Where are you from? It does not tell in your profile. Do you want to fly to a destination first? Please give us some more info.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,393 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 50th anniversary trip

"Would a cruise or an all inclusive vacation be more reasonable price wise"...............more reasonable price wise than what?.....there are many variables that will affect the overall cost of a vacation.....without any specific information from you, that question is not possible to answer just yet....when I book all inclusive vacations, I do so because I like the convenience of having what I want when I want it, and not having to think about the cost/carry money/credit cards around, but it's not necessarily less expensive to do this at all - I've just pre-paid for something I may or may not actually use.., .........Tet is correct...your profile is incomplete, as it does not indicate your city of origin......this information helps the TA forum members to make suggestions to you that are viable for your particular situation......the more info you can provide, the better

Level Contributor
193 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 50th anniversary trip

5 would be coming from Ohio and the other 7 from Oregon. Air fare would be necessary for either a cruise or an all inclusive vacation. Have been on plenty of cruises. Have never been to an all inclusive vacation. Last time we were all on a cruise there were 9 of us and it was great fun..sort of all inclusive on water I guess.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 50th anniversary trip

We also went on cruises but always had to pay for drinks (other than water and lemonade) so no AI. I'm not familiar with AI places in the USA but with a big family in june maybe it's a good idea to rent a big house somewhere at Outer Banks. Lovely surroundings, great beaches and lots of things to do.

Level Contributor
193 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 50th anniversary trip

Thanks for the suggestion. I will look it up, although that is a typical thing we do and we kind of wanted this to be an adventure. I see a lot of people go to Costa Rica which none of us have ever been to. There are a lot of Caribbean Islands we also haven't been to, although I do know that is hurricane season for that area.It is not just our 50th, but our daughter's 25th anniversary, one granddaughter's graduation from college, and one graduating from high school so we are mega celebrating. Would have loved to cruise Hawaii, but that seems to be the most expensive place to go.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 50th anniversary trip

We are going on a cruise to Hawaii this october from Long Beach Ca and back but that's a 15 days cruise and most time at sea and not in Hawaii.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,393 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 50th anniversary trip

Wow.......you really do have a lot to celebrate in 2015...Congrats in advance!.............................even though the "Wet Season" in the Caribbean technically begins in June, there is no guarantee that it will be rainy at all....I've been to the Caribbean in June and had no issues at all................have you ever been to the Riviera Maya area?

I know of some great places there that would definitely work for your group

Level Contributor
193 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 50th anniversary trip

Have not been there. I will check that area out.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,393 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 50th anniversary trip

There is a resort in the Riviera Maya I've been to often, that has excellent facilities for your entire family from the 9 year old and up......this resort has 5 beachfront hotels there, all at differing price points, so a lot to choose from....one of the five is adult-only though.....this is the Iberostar Resort at Playa Paraiso beach that I speak of...the hotels have exchange privileges with each other, and the other Iberostar properties in the RM.....there are numerous pools, a wave pool, lazy river ride, onsite shopping plaza with extra eateries, a chapel, an adult disco and a teen disco (next door to each other),.....numerous a la carte restos and buffets too...lots of water sports and nightly entertainment, and a shuttle van ($ extra) that's a 20 minute ride from the lively town of Playa Del Carmen........there is lots to do in the area in way of day trips/excursions......the hotels are named as follows........The Beach, The Del Mar, The Lindo , The Maya and The Grand (which is the most expensive and the adult-only too).............there is more info/pictures of each hotel in the reviews section here on TA, but I can also answer other ? for you.............there are also numerous other resorts in the area to choose from.........

Level Contributor
193 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 50th anniversary trip

I had just heard from a friend of mine that has been down there a lot that there favorite places are Iberostar. I will definitely look this up and have my daughters check it out too. My husband was wondering if there were good places to go see away from the hotels and from what you say, it sounds like there are. Thanks so much for your help with this.