We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why are family holidays so expensive this year?

Richmond, Surrey
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Why are family holidays so expensive this year?

We are trying to find a family holiday for 2 adults and two children ideally all inclusive in Europe in August but seriously can't find anything cheaper then 1,000 per head. It enrages me that children aged 4 and 7 should be paying the same costs as an adult? Would like to hear back from other travellers experiencing the same problems or if any one can suggest an alternative?

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,950 posts
47 reviews
1. Re: Why are family holidays so expensive this year?

I have encountered the opposite, but we seem to have different travel styles so my good fortune does not really offer you any help. We travel independently and do not use all inclusives. We visited Turkey at the end of last summer and I was pleased with the value, and inexpensive tickets. We are headed to Thailand in a few weeks and I had similar good fortune.

One possibility is do without the all inclusive, particularly if they are charging the kids the full adult rate. It is possible you will be better off paying as you go, but only paying for what you want.

NY
Level Contributor
2,373 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Why are family holidays so expensive this year?

Can't comment on Europe but many places in the Caribbean and mexico offer all inclusive packages with children 12 and under free so only paying for air fare which is nice. Good luck

Edited: 14 May 2014, 15:28
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
29,988 posts
29 reviews
3. Re: Why are family holidays so expensive this year?

I agree with the previous post..............there are definitely all-inclusives in Mexico and the Caribbean where one or two children, usually under 12 "Stay and eat free"......at least those packages are available from North America...could work for you too.......

truro
Level Contributor
908 posts
23 reviews
4. Re: Why are family holidays so expensive this year?

British tour operators don't offer child prices on long haul.

It's rare to get a child discount at all even for Europe for the School holidays though the discounts are available during term time.

Travel agents have raised the prices of school holiday bookings this year due to the lack of bookings for term time,to make up the lost profits.

Have you a particular destination in mind?

All Inclusives tend to be cheaper in Tunisia and Turkey than Greece,Spain etc...

Other options could be a villa,Eurocamp or On the beach which give free children under 12 on all holidays even in August.You do have to pay for their flights though.

Sibenik, Croatia
Level Contributor
76 posts
25 reviews
5. Re: Why are family holidays so expensive this year?

Cheapest is if you book an apartment outside the hotel complex., I'll suggest a hotel complex that could satisfy

your needs.http://www.solaris.hr

http://www.solaris.hr/

Edited: 30 May 2014, 21:15
West Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Family Travel
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
176 reviews
6. Re: Why are family holidays so expensive this year?

I think prices have risen all round. Fuel will be more expensive- hence flight prices etc.

Do you have to go AI? It could work out more economical to stay in a hotel on a half board basis - and eat out for lunch. Or hire a villa for yourselves- and book flights independently?

I never, ever managed to get free child places -I imagine they are in small supply and are snapped up by early bookers.

West Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Family Travel
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
176 reviews
7. Re: Why are family holidays so expensive this year?

I din't know your dates but these are coming up well under £1000 per head.

www.thomascook.com/product/…

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
104 posts
101 reviews
8. Re: Why are family holidays so expensive this year?

I have to agree the prices this year seem to be astronomical. We had hoped to do AI however are now looking at renting somewhere and doing it ourselves.

Chalfont Saint...
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
9. Re: Why are family holidays so expensive this year?

I've also found it expensive, been looking for ages for us as a couple and there are no package deals at all below 500! (Half board and above basis)

I'm hoping to book last minute in end of July - anyone have experience of this?

West Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Family Travel
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
176 reviews
10. Re: Why are family holidays so expensive this year?

I was going to say that last minute deals are a thing of the past. However I keep getting all kinds of emails from the main holiday companies and airlines.

So, keep checking from now on and you may get a bargain.