We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first family holiday

Save Topic
first family holiday

We are a young family with what will be a 2 year old when we go abroad. Hubby doesn't like long flights. Where is best to go & what month? That includes something for the little one & hubby? Thanks

Save Reply
1. Re: first family holiday

Also, would prefer either all incl or half board. 3 hours max flight time. Thanks

West Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Family Travel
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first family holiday

From where are you flying??

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,751 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first family holiday

3 hour flight from where?.................your profile is incomplete as it does not indicate the city you live in

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first family holiday

Hi Kimberley0204

I'm assuming you are flying from the UK. If so I would recommend Portugal's Alagrve as its a maximum 3 hours flying time from most UK airports. I would recommend September to go as the crowded month of August is over but everything is still open and the weather is great.

The following link may be of help www.algarveuncovered.com

Save Reply
5. Re: first family holiday

Hi SteveB. Yes I am flying from the UK, Manchester. Don't know how to edit my profile. Thanks for the idea of the Algarve, didn't think of there was only looking at Spain. I'll look in to it. Thanks :)

West Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Family Travel
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first family holiday

My son's first trip abroad was when he was 17 months - so we kept it simple. We went to Fuengirola on the Costa del Sol. Nice short fight, easy transportation in the area. We went in May - so it was warm but not baking hot. Agree with pp that September might be a nice month - or even early October.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,751 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: first family holiday

If you can stretch your flying time to 4 hours, then you can have a look at the Lakitira Resort and Village, on Kos, near the town of Kardamena...........this is an excellent highly regarded family friendly resort with both full board and the half-board option you're asking for......great English child care staff too.........

London
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: first family holiday

Hello,

I think Greece is a good idea...

Last year my family and i visited the seaside village of Velika in Greece and we had really a great time! It is a beautiful place not famous and touristic but very popular for local people.

It is located in eastern coast of Central Greece.

There, unfolds a coastline of 14 km with crystal clear water of Aegean Sea.

The beach is very organized with restaurants, taverns, shops and beach bars!

Furthermore it is an economic place, since it is not yet well known to tourists....

My family spent in the high season only 40 euro per night for a family apartment of 4-5 persons exactly opposite the sea!

The apartment (called Lepenioti rooms) was fully equipped with kitchen in a full of green environment and the most important! In one minute i was in the beach!

I think it is ideal for families!

9. Re: first family holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2014, 14:53
Leinster
Level Contributor
69 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: first family holiday

We brought our 22 mth old to albuefera on the algarve in Portugal.

It is a relitivly short flight. The transfer time from faro airport is not too far. Try to arrange good flight times (a flight at 9 am might mean having to get up at 5-6am)

There is a lovely beach, plenty of restaurants, a tourist train.....

It is quite hilly. The old town area is nicer than 'the strip'.

The weather in September was perfect (sunny most days, but not too hot).

Where ever you decide, I hope you have a great time.

Try to go before child's 2nd birthday - free flights (or big discounts), often free accommodation etc.