We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Caribbean island is best for young kids?

Franklin, Tennessee
Level Contributor
71 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Which Caribbean island is best for young kids?

We've been to Grand Cayman and Turks & Caicos and loved them both! Looking for a new island to explore. Kids are 4 and 6. We don't like all inclusives and don't need a place with a kids club. We like condos with some kids around and like there to be a few activities outside of the beach/pool.

Thanks for your feedback!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,113 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Caribbean island is best for young kids?

The Orlando area fits your description to a "T", except for the Caribbean aspect.............plenty of condos with pools for rent and kids galore...lots to do in Orlando besides the obvious parks

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Caribbean island is best for young kids?

I agree with Eden7. It is very possible our respective budgets and traval styles are completely different, but here is my take. Airfare to an island for four people will start around 1699 dollars, and that means choosing thedestination based on the cheapest dates to the cheapest destination. Hotels tend to be equal, or more often mre expensive than similar properties in the mainland USA.

My wife and I have visited several Carribean destinations, but without our son. Our son is a fairly avid traveler, and not intrigued by the beach or pool. Quite frankly we would have run out of things to interest him, except in Puerto Rico. If you do want the islands, Puerto Rico is probably my choice. I would also look at Cancun and Costa Rica. Not islands, but similar.

To save some money, Florida is a really good choice. You can drive there in a day, and then have access to the car. Orlando is a great location for lots of activities within a one or so hour drive. The theme parks raise the cost, but there is lots to do without the parks. I prefer to move at least once during a week long trip, and Florida is convenient for that. There is enough to do that you do not have to move if you do not want to.

NC
Level Contributor
838 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Caribbean island is best for young kids?

Hubby and I have been to over 20 Caribbean islands and other than the beach, pool and island tours, there isn't much for kids on these islands. They are not like Florida or US beaches, like Myrtle.

In fact, we never really see a lot of kids on these islands. Most adults take these vacations for adult time, mostly to get away from their kids.

I can't think of an island that we've been to that I could recommend for 2 young kids. My daughter has had no desire to go with us to these islands, so we let her pick a vacation every year that she wants to do and that's our family vacation. Then hubby and I take our couples only vacation.

4. Re: Which Caribbean island is best for young kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2015, 05:17