We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

worldwide recommendations for 2 month stay with a 10 y/o?

Oregon
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
worldwide recommendations for 2 month stay with a 10 y/o?

Hi, I will soon be finishing my graduate degree and will have the opportunity to take a couple of months off to relax and plan my next move. My daughter will be 10 when I am done and I would love to find a place that I can relax by the beach and she can swim and play. My plan is to go during the months of September/October or November. I will be homeschooling her during this time, so some educational merit would be neat but not necessary.

We love to try new foods, hike, and explore. I am open to going anywhere but I would need to feel that it was safe for her to explore. Also, our budget will be pretty tight and it seems most of our money will go toward plane tickets.

Where in the world should we go! :)

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: worldwide recommendations for 2 month stay with a 10 y/o?

Hi

Southern California has great weather that time of year but it's not a cheap destination

That time of year we also stayed at the Texan coast at places like Port Aransas and South Padre Island but other than beaches and a small town vibe there's not as much to do as SoCal. for a 10 y/o

Then there's Florida. We love the Fl Panhandle and again great time of year for that but there can be a late hurricane. We also stayed at the Gulf coast further south and loved it but probably you can get better deals at the Panhandle. Also the coast at Gulf Shores Alabama has a lot to offer.

Now for something different september/october will be fine for east coast as well. Like at the Outer Banks.

Tet

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,950 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: worldwide recommendations for 2 month stay with a 10 y/o?

Australia!

Amazing beaches, great local produce, infinitely safer than most western countries, fresh air, friendly, everything you and your daughter could want.

And yes, totally biased sales pitch

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: worldwide recommendations for 2 month stay with a 10 y/o?

>> Budget will be pretty tight>> -lol- KVE. But I agree, Australia has best beaches in the world.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,950 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: worldwide recommendations for 2 month stay with a 10 y/o?

Lol Tet, I know, I know, it was a totally impractical suggestion in terms of budget. I'm trying to plant seeds for the following holidays :)

Edited: 20 June 2014, 22:37
Oregon
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: worldwide recommendations for 2 month stay with a 10 y/o?

thank you both! Australia is expensive to stay right? I'm wanting to be out of the US so....

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: worldwide recommendations for 2 month stay with a 10 y/o?

Out of USA..... Well tons of options. Maybe check out middle America. That time of year for Europe, Algarve Portugal still has good weather and good deals. Maybe Greece, or Canary Islands (Spain) or Andalusia Spain. Cape Verde, Gambia Africa.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
13,149 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: worldwide recommendations for 2 month stay with a 10 y/o?

September to mid October in Europe has the advantage of lower accommodation prices, good weather and cheaper flights. After mid October the weather gradually becomes cooler ( but not cold) , and daylight hours start to diminish. In mid October UK schools have a weeks half term holiday, and prices shoot back up.

Spain, Portugal and Greece all have the lowest day to day costs, and are all in the Euro zone, so you'd only need to use one currency.

I'd also suggest the Med coast around Nice. A lovely small city, within very easy reach of surrounding hill top villages (good for hiking and great train trips) as well as other small coastal towns of Menton, Antibes and Cannes. The northern French coast of Brittany is beautiful, with a very good mix of rural villages, historic towns, and a broad sandy coastline. To enjoy it at it's best, you'd need a car, and by early October, the weather can become wetter.

Train travel is fast, cheap and very efficient in Spain,France and to an extent in Portugal too. The Greek Islands are well served by ferries and internal flights. However, if travelling around the Greek Islands late October onwards, the internal flight schedules gradually reduce.

For information about train travel, www.seat61.com is an excellent source of information.

It may be worth renting an apartment rather than staying in hotels. Spain and Portugal have the widest range of rental options, especially on the coasts. Some "urbanisations" also have swimming pools and on site restaurants etc. France also has a vibrant rental market, and in places like Nice and the Med coast, you may not need a car. Some of the advantages to renting is that you'd get more space, and get a washing machine !

As you have 2 months to travel, you could consider multi destinations, gradually moving south for the best weather. To save you back tracking, it may be worthwhile looking at "open jaw" flights.

If you want to travel internally by cheap no frills carriers, just be aware that they charge a premium for checked luggage, and are very strict on weights and dimensions for carry on luggage.

You may want to get hold of some Dorling Kindersley travel guides. They are more family focused and I'm sure they have a European Family guide.

Lastly, I'm fairly sure you'll need a Schengen visa. This is a visitors visa for up to 90 days travel in any one year. I'm not an immigration expert, so I'd suggest you check with your own government websites on visa requirements and how to apply.

Oregon
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: worldwide recommendations for 2 month stay with a 10 y/o?

thanks for the great information! I had been thinking about Greece and yes, definetly considering an apartment rental!

9. Re: worldwide recommendations for 2 month stay with a 10 y/o?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2014, 21:55
10. Re: worldwide recommendations for 2 month stay with a 10 y/o?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions